Insulin doses

Woner Woman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, my doctor has put me on 18mm of Levemir in the morning and 16mm at night. I was just wondering is that amount of insulin low or high or an average medium? Don't quite know how to explain it as we are all different and there is no average!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
we are all different and there is no average!
I think you gave the only right answer here.

Although technically, of course there's an average, simply add up all insulin used and divide by the amount of users. But it would be a completely useless average because it would be made up of people using 3 units of insulin a day, people using 600 units a day, and everything in between.

Reactions: Woner Woman

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you're type 2 then your dose reflects your degree of insulin resistance. You've still got your own insulin too so this doesn't reflect the totality of what you are making and taking!
I have no idea where this falls but I know that at the extreme end a lot higher doses are taken and I suppose it is the direction of travel you'll need to worry about rather than the absolute amount right now.

Woner Woman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes I am a T2! 600 units a day, wow! I suppose I am wondering if my doctor would say I'm on low doses of Insulin... or not. Is it bad?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my doctor has put me on 18mm of Levemir in the morning and 16mm at night. I was just wondering is that amount of insulin low or high or an average medium? Don't quite know how to explain it as we are all different and there is no average!

Hi,

You require what you personally need.

Does it work for you? (Loving the tattoo. )

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
You need what you need, and if it works that great. I'm on 55u basal per day, which is about 15% of my total daily insulin. My consultant would prefer a higher basal, but that's to smooth out my bg graph, which at the moment is a bit peak and dip.

So, 600 is on the high end, but I've been higher. If you go on a pump it will decrease, my real change to my insulin dose was to change to savoury snacks not sweet.