Insulin feeling sick

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just had 4 units novarapid and 6 levemir
I feel sick, shaking, and sweating. Is it the insulin? Blood sugars ok.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Check your bloods again. There can be a lag of upto 20 minutes ago in results due to blood flow?

You may well have checked "OK" on the way down??

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Went down from 17.5 to 9.7 rather quickly. Should I take both insulin together? I just hate that feeling that comes over you! Only had this 6 months and don't know if I'm doing it right. Trying to get my eating sorted, which I have a big problem with. Going to join weight watchers as insulin putting weight on. I'm too old for this (54). Why get it so late in life? Can't come to terms with it!

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know how similar they are, but lantus makes me feel like absolute death. Only a bit nauseous, more just totally wiped out, shaky and exhausted (at normal glucose levels.)

It isn't any easier at 24.

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's the first I've taken them at same time. Won't be doing that again! Taking the Levemir on its own never bothers me.

SKB_9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's the first I've taken them at same time. Won't be doing that again! Taking the Levemir on its own never bothers me.
Hi, I am quite new to this also, having been diagnosed about 7 months ago, but in my limited experience I'd say taking both together is unlikely to be the problem. I often take Levemir with my Novorapid and the hospital said they are fine to take together. Check it out with your nurse if you're not sure.

For me, going from such a high number to 9 so quickly used to make me feel dreadful. In my experience, this has got better with time, so whereas I used to get all the hypo symptoms with such a change (as you described) I now usually just feel overcome with sleepiness or a bit 'funny' and can't put my finger on it. The same also happens the other way around when I'm going up very quickly only I notice I feel dizzy and very chatty, bit like a glass of wine!

It's really disheartening when symptoms happen that you can't explain, and I still feel very lost with it all. But I thought it might help to say this happened to me and it's got better, so it might get better for you as well. Fingers crossed x

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can take the two insulin's together without an issue, but its more likely this reaction is due to you being newly diagnosed....

it will take a while for your pancreas to completely stop making its own insulin, and its only then you can pin down your insulin doses accurately.....

take each day as it comes.....;)

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't mix the 2 insulins in the same syringe. Inject at separate sites. I don't think any of the basal insulins should be mixed with another insulin prior to injecting. Years ago I used ultralente as my basal and I would mix that with regular in the morning sometimes before breakfast.

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Both were injected separately, different part of stomach. Probably not used too taking both one after another.
Thanks for all the advice.