1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Insulin flow

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by borderter, Mar 13, 2020.

1. borderter

borderter Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My echo pen judders down and want to check that its actually delivering full dose dialed up ,read somewhere this could be done by squirting dose into cap but cannot recall how much etc ,any advice

2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I do 2 units into a tissue.

3. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That doesn't measure how much there is though :)
    I know you can use the needle outer caps to check that you're getting enough from the pens, but unfortunately I can't remember the details :( (and my google skills are failing me)

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. satindoll

satindoll Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Prime pen as usual with 2 units.........dial up 20 full units then squirt slowly into upturned needle cap.......the liquid should fill the thin neck of the cap to where it splays out to fit the tube neck....... be aware the insulin can bubble up if not squirted slowly........some needle caps are short and stubby but the same applies to all caps, hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. borderter

wow it falls far short so maybe pen or needle faulty .Boy do I reek of insulin now lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't despair yet, @borderter !
    Off course I wanted to see for myself so I just tried with both my long and short acting insulins. I can't believe both pens are faulty in exactly the same way so there must be needle caps to which this rule doesn't apply. Mine are the Klinion needles.

And yes, now it smells of insulin here :D:hilarious: Good thing I like that smell :hungry:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Isn't it the white needle cover that holds the 20u? Or did I just imagine it????

8. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

White needle cover? How would you be able to see through it to see how much insulin is in it? All the different needle brands I've used have transparent covers. The small inner needle cap is orange in my current needles but I think I've had purple ones too in the past. Do you mean those?

9. borderter

Use spirit health very fine needle so maybe that cap is different too

10. satindoll

satindoll Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Here you go as shown in the Novopen function guide, they are using NovoFine needles so the caps may be of a different size.
    units.PNG

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook