insulin for yams

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you need insulin for yams as they are a vegetable (I'm not talking about sweet potato)

Personally, I would take insulin for yams as it's a higher amount of carbs kind of vegetable and do treat them as I do any kind of potato. I'm inclined to take some for most veg when I'm being inactive, but not bother when being active.

You might prefer to eat some yams, then test two hours later, to see what the results are.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you need insulin for yams as they are a vegetable (I'm not talking about sweet potato)

Hi there, it all depends on the amount of carbs a Yam or anything else has in it coupled with whether and how and if it affects you personally or not. I was told that anything up to 10 carbs probably won't need bolus insulin (as any basal should be able to cope with that) and anything over 10 carbs may or may not, you would have to test. They also said that all of these 'facts' were actually rules of thumb so emphasised that each person could start off with some guidelines BUT had to test the theory for themselves.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Yes, I would bolus for yam. I wouldn't trust my basal to deal with 9grams worth..