Insulin free type 1 is it honeymoon period

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hoping anyone as experienced this
Over the last few days I’ve been changing my ratio usually 1 unit to 10g carbs and long lasting 12 units 8pm each night which as kept me in brilliant control but over the last few days I’ve been going low so done a bit of tinkering like you do but yesterday I went completely insulin free and didn’t even have my long lasting last night in fear of going to low and just to see what happened and what number I got this morning got to be the honeymoon period ain’t it surely lucky I go to see my consultant today for my hba1c results so that’s good timing I guess I must add I’m pretty low carb anyway don’t have breakfast as I go to the gym in fasting mode which keeps my bs levels stable dinners around 15/20g carbs tea around 20/40g

Reactions: jadolan01

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Sobo82 yes sounds like it, just keep a close eye and adjust insulin when necessary, a consultant once told me that keeping a good range means less stress on the pancreas so you can prolong the life of the honeymoon, I didn't have much of one probably 6 months but was unable to omit insulin completely so yes good timing seeing your consultant today too ;)

Reactions: Sobo82

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Sobo82 yes sounds like it, just keep a close eye and adjust insulin when necessary, a consultant once told me that keeping a good range means less stress on the pancreas so you can prolong the life of the honeymoon, I didn't have much of one probably 6 months but was unable to omit insulin completely so yes good timing seeing your consultant today too ;)

Yes I’m going to check regular like I would normally before and after meals plus I use the libre I’ll Defo not be dropping my guard
Thank you juicyj

Reactions: jadolan01

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
2 questions:
1) How did you get diagnosed with type 1?
2) Have you lost weight since diagnosis?

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
2 questions:
1) How did you get diagnosed with type 1?
2) Have you lost weight since diagnosis?

Admitted to hospital 5 day stay with bs levels 27 ketos 5.8 and yes I’ve lost 3 stone with complete diet change lowish carb and gym daily carb counting

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This might be history repeating itself!
Some hospitals are not doing a full set of blood tests to diagnose T1 see https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/weird-or-what.135812/#post-1695792

The big fall in need for insulin on dieting sounds more like T2!

How I’d love for that to be right but read a few stories last night about honeymoon period not needing insulin for long periods of time then bang hits them again but I guess time will tell I actually go and see my consultant today for my hba1c results so I’ll be asking many questions

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This might be history repeating itself!
Some hospitals are not doing a full set of blood tests to diagnose T1 see https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/weird-or-what.135812/#post-1695792

The big fall in need for insulin on dieting sounds more like T2!

Went to see consultant not my usual one got my hba1c results 5.8 absolutely over the moon with that I explained that I’d not had insulin for 24hrs approx and he seemed a bit confused explained to him about weight loss and training daily and lowish carb diet
He’s sent me for GAD test which I brought up after reading the thread you posted up top thank you for that turns out I’ve not had one he basically said just keep testing don’t take any long lasting insulin unless i start getting high readings in the morning and no fast acting unless I’m going high obviously after meals which I’m well aware of what to do anyway and just got to give it time now see what happens all a bit of a shock if it turns out I’m not type 1 after all
Thanks

AJB_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Crazy that GADs are not checked in all instances?! Wonder if it's a cost thing?
Fingers crossed you don't have the commons GADs in your blood! For info (which you may know already!), there are other types of antibodies linked with T1D, so no GADs may not be 100% indicative that you've been T2 all along. Can't remember the names of them - anti islet, some weird numbered ones... I think there are 4 or 5 of them?
Good luck!