Insulin injection "leakage"

SamMac

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello -- presumed Type 1 LADA in honeymoon (still haven't had all my test results back; back to hospital unit in 2 weeks), diagnosed October 2015 after all the classic Type 1 symptoms, 46-years-old.

I inject basal insulin, Levemir, twice daily. No bolus as yet. I've been having a bit of trouble injecting for a couple of weeks. Whenever I withdraw the needle there is always leakage of some insulin. It might not matter, but as I'm on a relatively small amount currently, just 4-5 units, it stresses me out a bit. And I can't really "practise" more than twice a day!

Am I doing something wrong? Any tips?

As I say, back to the diabetes unit soon so I'll ask there but I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Leave the needle in the skin longer, count to 12 slowly before withdrawing and see if that makes a difference.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try pinching the skin up before you inject, insert the needle into the pinched up area, inject, release the pinch, then (as noblehead already wrote) count to 12 before pulling the needle out.

SamMac

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @noblehead and @CapnGrumpy, very helpful. It seems obvious when I read your answers. Honestly, I've been counting to ten quickly rather than to twelve slowly, so that's probably my problem.

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
counting is a good habit to get in to but realistically that amount of insulin your are seeing is insignificant when you look at the bigger picture....

is still annoying though....ha ha.....:)

Reactions: 2 people