Insulin Injections Etiquette?

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
rude people, turnips, current diabetic support
Hello to all, I had such great support from the forum hope you can give me your point of view. I have started on Insulin on the 13 th of June. Not easy to adapt to test and injecting and getting the insulin right. Was invited for lunch today after long journey very warm felt unwell/ faint and another guest asked if I was ok took a reading at the table. As my sugar was rocketing and my blood pressure dropped ,(a recent problem) I discreetly injected a small correction dose under the table.( No flesh exposed... Just used the opening between my shirt buttons on the lower tummy) So I Just had a text from them asking not to test or inject infront of their children. Honestly their children wasnt even looking playing on opposite side of room. Do many of you experience this? Do I need to ask permission? As my family is full of diabetics it isn't strange to me. Feel angry and a bit sad that I was basically asked not to test or inject when I am there (as If I have a choice) So since this is all new to me do I hide in a bathroom when we go out to restaurants/beach/ planes/ sport stadiums? We due our holidays soon. What is the etiquette of testing and injecting as this is a new rollercoaster for me and I am realistic that there will not always be a place to hide.
I find it strange in a world where adults and children use EpiPens and medical devices I have to ask permission.

Reactions: Libby3781

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m sorry this has happened, I’d say this is their problem, not yours. Would they object to your taking a tablet or using an inhaler?

I do it whenever and wherever I need to, usually as nonchalantly as possible. I’ve never been challenged over it in 20 years, but if someone was to tell me to use a toilet, I’d ask them if they’d like to make holes in themselves in a public khazi?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Been doing for 48 years, never in a toilet, and only once been called about it. (Someone at work complained anonymously, I felt upset but since it turned out that none of the group I worked with cared, I got over it.) But it probably helps that I've always been completely open about what I'm doing to friends and workmates, so they get educated pretty fast if they don't at first understand.

Honestly, I'd say it's ignorance on behalf of the person complaining. You need to inject and you need to test. Neither of these should be done in a toilet, and unless you're dropping used lancets all over the floor there shouldn't be an issue. Is the person who texted you a friend or just an acquaintance. If the former then you need to educate them to keep the friendship. If the latter then I'd still be tempted to educate them as a public service.

Dear ...,
I'm sorry you were upset to see me injecting and testing at lunch today. Unfortunately my body no longer produces enough insulin to keep me alive, and as I have to regulate both the amount of food I eat and the amount of insulin I inject then I also need to do multiple blood tests per day. I would love to be able to have "days off" when I don't test or inject, but that's a bit like asking someone not to breathe while they're visiting friends. Your children may well have friends at school who have to do blood tests, inject insulin, use epipens or inhalers. I hope you will be more sympathetic to their needs if they ever visit your house.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Of course, maybe the texter was objecting on religious grounds??? (Mot sure what Jehova's Witnesses allow re blood tests, and Christian Scientists would have you pray your illness away)

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Been doing for 48 years, never in a toilet, and only once been called about it. (Someone at work complained anonymously, I felt upset but since it turned out that none of the group I worked with cared, I got over it.) But it probably helps that I've always been completely open about what I'm doing to friends and workmates, so they get educated pretty fast if they don't at first understand.

Honestly, I'd say it's ignorance on behalf of the person complaining. You need to inject and you need to test. Neither of these should be done in a toilet, and unless you're dropping used lancets all over the floor there shouldn't be an issue. Is the person who texted you a friend or just an acquaintance. If the former then you need to educate them to keep the friendship. If the latter then I'd still be tempted to educate them as a public service.

Dear ...,
I'm sorry you were upset to see me injecting and testing at lunch today. Unfortunately my body no longer produces enough insulin to keep me alive, and as I have to regulate both the amount of food I eat and the amount of insulin I inject then I also need to do multiple blood tests per day. I would love to be able to have "days off" when I don't test or inject, but that's a bit like asking someone not to breathe while they're visiting friends. Your children may well have friends at school who have to do blood tests, inject insulin, use epipens or inhalers. I hope you will be more sympathetic to their needs if they ever visit your house.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Of course, maybe the texter was objecting on religious grounds??? (Mot sure what Jehova's Witnesses allow re blood tests, and Christian Scientists would have you pray your illness away)
Thank you all for the support. I do talk to everyone around me including them - not enough it seems. Both are educated but then that doesn't mean they aren't ignorant. They are Hindi maybe something I haven't understand about their religion?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @claudetteholmes,
Over 51 years injecting insulin I have had a few instances. The threat to my health of not being assertive outweighs the possibility of discomfort to others ( especially those that are fearful of needles/injections but do not look away, the over curious or spiteful) Yes, I have met them all, but also those who understand, are discreet about it and not perturbed.
In a restaurant situation I try to choose a seat near a wall., I excuse myself and turn around, balance my kit etc and test, then draw up, dial up insulin and inject as discreetly as I can AND ensure any sharps and safely contained.
If it is difficult to be discreet I ask the waiter/manager if there is a space I can use to achieve what is needed.
I decline use of toilet bathroom area claiming hygiene needs for injections (would they expect to have an injection in a hospital's bathroom/toilet ?).
If there is any suggestion of eviction from the restaurant I show my diabetes bracelet and my ID and quietly ask if they would like the publicity of ejecting persons with diabetes from their establishment in the paper.
If a guest at a friend's place I would usually ask for a separate space having spoken with the host/hostess prior about testing injections, diet etc).
I have given insulin on trains, planes, main streets of country towns, hostels, conferences, in a canoe, on a sailing boat.
I believe it is my responsibility to be discreet ( I have two close family members who faint at the sight of needles)
and to ensure no-one is endangered by sharps.

I hope you remain forthright whilst appearing respectful and charming. And that you enjoy outings to the full !
Ignorance on the part of others is not bliss. Having to give injections is part of your personal culture which has to be respected.
Hint: In a canoe or sailing boat I ensure the insulin etc has a life jacket too.

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi @claudetteholmes,
Over 51 years injecting insulin I have had a few instances. The threat to my health of not being assertive outweighs the possibility of discomfort to others ( especially those that are fearful of needles/injections but do not look away, the over curious or spiteful) Yes, I have met them all, but also those who understand, are discreet about it and not perturbed.
In a restaurant situation I try to choose a seat near a wall., I excuse myself and turn around, balance my kit etc and test, then draw up, dial up insulin and inject as discreetly as I can AND ensure any sharps and safely contained.
If it is difficult to be discreet I ask the waiter/manager if there is a space I can use to achieve what is needed.
I decline use of toilet bathroom area claiming hygiene needs for injections (would they expect to have an injection in a hospital's bathroom/toilet ?).
If there is any suggestion of eviction from the restaurant I show my diabetes bracelet and my ID and quietly ask if they would like the publicity of ejecting persons with diabetes from their establishment in the paper.
If a guest at a friend's place I would usually ask for a separate space having spoken with the host/hostess prior about testing injections, diet etc).
I have given insulin on trains, planes, main streets of country towns, hostels, conferences, in a canoe, on a sailing boat.
I believe it is my responsibility to be discreet ( I have two close family members who faint at the sight of needles)
and to ensure no-one is endangered by sharps.

I hope you remain forthright whilst appearing respectful and charming. And that you enjoy outings to the full !
Ignorance on the part of others is not bliss. Having to give injections is part of your personal culture which has to be respected.
Hint: In a canoe or sailing boat I ensure the insulin etc has a life jacket too.
Thank you so much for the feedback, I will communicate more and will do the restaurant thing as you advised especially as we are going to a country I haven't been before.( Honestly most bathrooms is not hygenic or lack of space to put my kit down) I have a tiny mini sharps bin in my handbag so I just pop it in discreetly. I must rember your advice we are planning a canoe trip!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you so much for the feedback, I will communicate more and will do the restaurant thing as you advised especially as we are going to a country I haven't been before.( Honestly most bathrooms is not hygenic or lack of space to put my kit down) I have a tiny mini sharps bin in my handbag so I just pop it in discreetly. I must rember your advice we are planning a canoe trip!
Ha ! yes, and with trains with bouncy seats, timing is of the essence.

edan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just ask them if you can use another room or a bedroom to do your tests and injections next time, or warn them you need to do it so they can take the children out of the room first.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Now I could be totally wrong here and apologise if anyone feels wronged in any way, but when you mentioned the complainers are Hindi, I thought they must be of Asian extraction. This reminded me of something I read a few years ago (it could have been in Balance). The article said that many people in (some?) Asian countries are ashamed of being diabetic and would hide the diagnosis from family and friends, as they felt they would be looked down upon.

If your acquaintance has been brought up to believe that diabetes is something shameful then it is understandable that they would want it hidden. However, if you are in the UK, some gentle education should enlighten them a little. Personally I would add that I hope they and their children would remain free of any form of diabetes so that they would not have to test and inject, the way you do.

As for injection etiquette, as long as you don't make a show of it, it's fine. I normally test with the monitor on my knee (under the table in restaurant) no one usually notices. Before my pump days, I injected by slightly lifting my top and injecting into my midriff. If I was wearing a summer dress without tights, I would just reach under the skirt and inject into my thigh (that's better if you don't wear slim fitting dresses!)

tizzy

Hi family or friends I just inject wherever, i keep hidden as much as possible however I found myself injecting in the toilet recently the first time in a long time the people I was with I didn’t know and there wasn’t any way at all to be discreet.I didn’t like it very much but the toilet sink area seemed clean ,unfortunately I think they may have thought i had issues as each time a course was brought in I flew of to the loo it wasn’t the sort of meal I could guess before I ate

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for posting the question.

I recently flew out of Bristol Airport, and due to the time of my flight I wasn’t sure where I should do my insulin. New to insulin, only been on it a month. I currently have a slow release, as it doesn’t have to be taken with food, and can be done last thing at night.

In the end I went to the disabled toilets and tested my blood, and administered my insulin. After reading this thread, tho I think I will in future just be discreet

I test my levels 3 times a day. Morning, tea time and bedtime.

Reactions: claudetteholmes

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You do not have to ask permission to use a test kit or an epipen it can be as essential as breathing.

As they did not face you with it but texted after you had, presumably, left in their case does it matter? Do you really want to see them again? If so why?

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
You do not have to ask permission to use a test kit or an epipen it can be as essential as breathing.

As they did not face you with it but texted after you had, presumably, left in their case does it matter? Do you really want to see them again? If so why?
Thank you to everyone for giving me their point of view. My thoughts echoes Bittern exactly, I am incredibly upfront and any issues are discussed face to face. I have decided that its best to avoid people like that as I have shared my journey step for step with them and she had every opportunity to raise objections face to face. On the other hand have to say was in Debenhams yesterday in their cafe had a coffee and tested on the seat next to me and did the turning to the wall thing and enjected under my top in my tummy. A member if staff came walking to me and my first thought was ooh here we go again. But big surprise she asked if I was ok and I said fine she then asked if I needed a cookie or something. It was so heartwarming such a little kindness goes a long way!

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thanks for posting the question.

I recently flew out of Bristol Airport, and due to the time of my flight I wasn’t sure where I should do my insulin. New to insulin, only been on it a month. I currently have a slow release, as it doesn’t have to be taken with food, and can be done last thing at night.

In the end I went to the disabled toilets and tested my blood, and administered my insulin. After reading this thread, tho I think I will in future just be discreet

I test my levels 3 times a day. Morning, tea time and bedtime.
Hi we are flying from Bristol next week how did you find security as I have loads of stuff to take with? To be honest I have tested almost everywhere not at airport yet and most people dont bat an eyelid.

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi family or friends I just inject wherever, i keep hidden as much as possible however I found myself injecting in the toilet recently the first time in a long time the people I was with I didn’t know and there wasn’t any way at all to be discreet.I didn’t like it very much but the toilet sink area seemed clean ,unfortunately I think they may have thought i had issues as each time a course was brought in I flew of to the loo it wasn’t the sort of meal I could guess before I ate
So glad you post this was invited to a dinner yesterday was super nervous and I did discuss with my hostess she was lovely and talked through the menu. She told the table I will be testing and injecting if anyone needed me to leave the room and no one batted an eyelid. I found that sometimes if I inject even small amounts and move about I go whoozy, but then thats more blood pressure issue. I talked it through with my gp and she said stuff people rule is food infront of you test , calculate and inject

Reactions: tizzy

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Ask the kids if they want to watch. In my experience kids love seeing it!
I agree a friend asked me today if I will explain to kids and show them how it all works as grandpa is over now on insulin and they visiting them in Summer. Its all about empowering our children