Type 2 Insulin load?

AliceChatsworth

Type of diabetes
Carer
Does anyone have any experience of using insulin load which takes into account both carbs and protein? Marty Kendall optimising nutrition website and some low carb down under YouTube videos. I am carer for my autistic, ADHD, t2 diabetic husband and prepare all his meals, but am struggling to get his sugars down even though low carb (under 50g). I think his protein is probably contributing and am going to try upping the non starchy carbs and reducing the meat accordingly but wondered if anyone else had any relevant experience.

Amr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Alice,
First I'm type 1 diabetic..and i only takr insulin according to the carb count in my meal..
However i was adviced at first to take 1 unit for each 15 gm carbs
But i noticed i was totally out of control
so i increased the ratio till i got it right (1 for 5-6 gms)
so it differs from one to another
And i dont count protein at all
Hope i could help ☺
Regards

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Alice
I take insulin for 1/2 my protein grams so if I was having 30g of protein I would dose for 15g using my normal 1:20. Everyone is different but this works for me.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @AliceChatsworth :)

I'm Type 1. I only count protein if I eat it without carbs. Normally I just count the carbs and inject for that.

What insulins does your husband take, what amounts and when? Do you have an insulin to carb ratio for meals? Have you tried altering that, if so?

AliceChatsworth

Type of diabetes
Carer
He doesn't take insulin but is due to start a gliflozin asap and Trulicity next month. I've been trying to use low carb diet to reduce sugars but not noticed any real difference over about 3 weeks. I've wondered if reducing protein but adding some fibrous non starchy veg might help

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Reducing protein could potentially help especially if he's low carb. Adding an avocado might help too. The healthy fat and fiber helps to keep things low and slow.

Reactions: AliceChatsworth

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
He doesn't take insulin but is due to start a gliflozin asap and Trulicity next month. I've been trying to use low carb diet to reduce sugars but not noticed any real difference over about 3 weeks. I've wondered if reducing protein but adding some fibrous non starchy veg might help

Thanks @AliceChatsworth :)

Perhaps if you could post a normal days food for him, you might get suggestions about things you could possibly change? How many carbs a day is he having?

Reactions: AliceChatsworth

AliceChatsworth

Type of diabetes
Carer
Sorry for late response. He was admitted to hospital after i posted this thread and was eventually diagnosed with viral hepatitis. I think some of the reason for his sugars not reducing would be down to the infection. He was sent home from hospital with an insulin regime, so now he has:
Insurance basal 20 units morning and 18 at night
Normal day's food would be
4 bacon,2 egg breakfast, sometimes avocado and mayo
A meat and lots of green veg for one main meal
A large salad with seeds and an oil/vinegar dressing. Large means most of a lettuce, a third of a head of celery, half a cucumber, 3 or 4 tomatoes etc.
Snacks include cheese, kabanos, pork scratchings

He only feels full after a very large meal - fat and protein don't do it. So we are trying a system of him trying to stick to vaguely normal portions of food for two meals and a large salad and try to ignore subsequent hunger until the next meal. Most of the time he is happy to forgo some meat for extra volume since volume fills.
Carbs are about 50, protein about 80-100 and fat over 200 all in grams. These will be higher on some days when he has what i don't record. He is autistic and has ADD so things not very straightforward at times

His sugars have dropped from the crazy hospital figures (in the twenties - I wanted to cry when i saw the hospital food) down to between 10 and 13. The reduction now is pretty slow and we want to try and start the original routine without the insulin. I liked what I read about insulin load because it seems to allow a bit more wiggle room for carb/protein amounts whilst still trying to keep insulin response down. Just wondered if anyone had come across Marty Kendall's stuff and used it.