bhk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, it's me, bothering again.

Type 1 diabetic, since almost 25 years now. On MDI: humalog + tresiba. I am 28 years old, very active and with a slim profile.

Here is the problem. Since more than a week, I have seen my body become very resistant (not sensitive) to insulin. For years, my ratios (for insulin needs) have been approximately:

Mornings: 1 unit of insulin for 15 grams of carbohydrates
Noon: 1 unit of insulin for every 25 grams of carbohydrates
Night: 1 unit of insulin for every 25-30 grams of carbohydrates.

Since a couple of days, it looks like this:

Mornings: 1 unit of insulin for 8 grams of carbohydrates
Noon: 1 unit of insulin for every 12 grams of carbohydrates
Night: 1 unit of insulin for every 15 grams of carbohydrates.

I also raised my basal insulin from 14 units a day to 20 units a day since more than a week.

In the past years, there were, at certain times, exceptions, where for no reason, for a couple of days, my ratios change tremendously. But now, the change has been very high and is starting to last. I am injecting doses that would put me directly into coma if I had my normal response to insulin. It is like if I am not in my body anymore, and I am always on the edge of hyperglycaemia, and I barely eat.

I have been to the gym 5 times in the past 6 days (as usual), and there have been no changes in:

- other exercice/sports
- any flu/cold/other disease
- stress
- bed time / duration of sleep
- caffeine / other substances consumption
- no new vial of insulin opened
- no outside temperature significant change
- no weight loss/gain
- same diet as usual
- no other drug/medication

Did the situation ever occur to any of you? It would be SO helpful if you could share similar stories and tell us how it resolved? Or if you guys have any insight on what might create such an insulin resistance in a type 1 diabetic? I am thinking maybe a fatty liver problem? A cortisol disregulation?

Thanks again,

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Im getting quite a bit of info using the search term
sudden insulin change type 1 diabetes
on Google and Bing
I noticed another of your posts from july where it had gone the other way!
Is your present dose your normal dosage and the old dose was the odd one out?
I read some ideas: new injection site, fridge failure damaging insulin but the old posts (going back to 2011) you'll have go through them as you know what your looking for.

bhk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks a lot for your concern rmz80, very much appreciated. Indeed the problem is solved, and it is so astonishing.

I did not think that I was in a stressful period but I was preparing an exam for many weeks. For me, it was just a normal day-to-day stress. From the day I did the exam and studying was finished, my "ratios" were back to normal, even increased, and my insulin sensitivity is at its best!! Eating sugar all day, still being nearly in hypoglycemia all day!! This is from the exact hour that I finished the exam. I am absolutely amazed by the effect that this pernicious stress has on diabetes management...

Reactions: EllieM