Insulin (not glucose) responses to food

Tannith

BANNED
The
Exactly how does protein become carbohydrates? Surely that should say becomes glucose? I’d like to see the evidence of that high % either way. Does it give a reference?
The only reference I have is the link I posted below my post , to blood sugar 101. I don't know any more than is in the article. When I saw the comments on here about protein I remembered reading it and looked it up, thinking folks on here might be interested. Other than this article I have not seen anything else relevant on protein being converted to glucose.

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
The 60% or 80% is the amount of glucose that could be derived from the protein, but obviously under normal circumstances the liver has much better use for it.

Meanwhile I learned a lot from this thread. I had a big piece of steak late last night, which indeed kept my morning spike lower. But then when I went cycling my glucose hardly went down at all; usually it takes like 5 or 6 kilometers to get it in the high fives, but now it took 20 km. This is the other side of the medal;

“elevation of plasma amino acids to postprandial levels also caused insulin resistance by direct inhibition of muscle glucose transport and/or glucose phosphorylation with subsequent reduction in rates of glycogen synthesis”

High dietary protein intake, reducing or eliciting insulin resistance?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
elevation of plasma amino acids to postprandial levels also caused insulin resistance by direct inhibition of muscle glucose transport and/or glucose phosphorylation with subsequent reduction in rates of glycogen synthesis
What does this mean in simple English?

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
What does this mean in simple English?

High protein impairs muscular glucose uptake

“A ∼2.1-fold elevation of plasma AAs reduced whole-body glucose disposal by 25% (P < 0.01). Rates of muscle glycogen synthesis decreased by 64%”

Now I wonder if the same amount of protein in for example cheese would have the same effect as the protein in the steak did. The steak had 3.4% fat, the cheese has 35%.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If someone is consuming carbohydrate then there is less need for the liver to make glucose. In those settings it’s less likely that glucose will be synthesised from protein. Protein does cause glucose spikes in extremely insulin resistant type 2.
I say agree as I'm no longer severely insulin resistant but I'm still insulin resistant hence reluctant to have insulin inducing meds but low carbing needs tweeking but I'm totally off meals and picking at proteins. I think metformin isn't working for me anymore. I've reduced it so I'm waiting for the fallout. Weight gain and even higher bgs God help my hba1c in January. December has a few meals already paid and voucher gifts from companies coming to their validation end. We are determined to have a lovely Christmas this year. Kids and ourselves had basic birthday celebrations so we are pulling out all stops. Various meats and fish will be frozen in time for their school holidays. A pantomime may be on the cards but whatever we do over the top I will be low carbing and testing like mad. So I'll see if various meats make any difference compared to others but I think mainly how they're fed and seasoned etc before I cook it.

Reactions: Member496333