Insulin not having much effect

clarea

Sorry took do so long been having a job putting reply on. I have type 2 diabetes and take humulin insulin down to 38 am and pm. I did used to be high like 20's for bloods. At the minute I am upping a tablet for my epilepsy which has me so tired I think today has been my first time that I've got up to take insulin and tablets then gone back to bed til 1400. I've just been reducing insulin a bit as levels were about 5.1 low for me have hypos at about 4.3 hope this is some use

clarea

Sorry took do so long been having a job putting reply on. I have type 2 diabetes and take humulin insulin down to 38 am and pm. I did used to be high like 20's for bloods. At the minute I am upping a tablet for my epilepsy which has me so tired I think today has been my first time that I've got up to take insulin and tablets then gone back to bed til 1400. I've just been reducing insulin a bit as levels were about 5.1 low for me have hypos at about 4.3 hope this is some use

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Is it humulin m3 your not getting positive lower bgs on?
I used to be on m3 for 2 years and what a struggle to keep my bgs low enough. Hba1c was in high 50s. I was taking huge doses too. Mind u I did start losing weight on it once bgs were good.
What was your last hba1c and what is your typical carbohydrate gram amount on eating after 20-30mins of injecting?

clarea

I used to be on m3 for 2 years and what a struggle to keep my bgs low enough. Hba1c was in high 50s. I was taking huge doses too. Mind u I did start losing weight on it once bgs were good.
What was your last hba1c and what is your typical carbohydrate gram amount on eating after 20-30mins of injecting?

I don't think I'm doing this right

Sent from my F5321 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

clarea

It is humulin M3 kwik pen I am using. My blood levels have been about 4.7 - 8.7 lower than than 5.0 have been having hypos pleased to say lower than I first started. At the moment I have been really tired too and sleeping more this is to do with my epilepsy tablets but just wondering if this could be having an effect on levels?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm not sure about epilepsy meds and effects on bgs.
Does your diabetic nurse say they could? When are you seeing your team next?

Maybe someone who knows more about epilepsy drugs may pop into this thread and enlighten us!
Anyone?
Do you know anyone @donnellysdogs ?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So you think your insulin isn't having much effect because you're tired? The way you tell whether your insulin is working is by your blood sugar levels are ranging from 4.7-8.7 then your insulin is working, perfectly.

If your euglycaemic (ie you have normal blood sugar between 4-9) and you are feeling very tired and having to go back to bed at 2pm on the same day you start new meds for epilepsy then I would suggest the tiredness is nothing to do with diabetes, it's probably related to the new med. Have a look at the patient information leaflet for side effects.

A hypo is a blood sugar result under 4. You might be experiencing hypo symptoms at levels at 4-5, but if you're blood sugar is 4 or higher, you aren't actually hypo. Having hypo symptoms when you aren't under 4 is a false hypo, because you're body is used to running at higher levels it thinks a perfectly normal blood sugar, like 4.3, is too low and so gives you the hypo symptoms.

clarea

Will the blood levels only adjust from 9 to 7 as normally seems to go to 5. Could this have anything to do with being tired and been in bed most of the day. I never do stay in bed as long but do think it normally lowers a bit more. I do think it is the tablets making me tired they have been effecting from april/may