1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Insulin on plane

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Besty W, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Besty W

Besty W Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi I'm going on holiday for one week, I am planning on taking a reserve pen for both rapid and long acting. Should i pack the reserves in hand luggage or my main bag which will go in the hold? I'm concerned about temperatures in the hold,

Any advice gratefully received

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mep

Mep Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I carried everything on me and had a letter from my doc to show at the airport.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Besty W

Besty W Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Perfect, thanks for your help, I'll keep it in my hand luggage, I've got a letter from the doc also

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DiabeticDadUK

DiabeticDadUK Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I keep everything in my carry on luggage. Make sure you pack plenty of reserves. They may insist the pens go into a clear bag too. Have a nice holiday :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

I agree with what has been said = carry your Insulin in hand luggage and a letter from your GP too. Most GP's charge for letters mine charged me £25.00. ( I take 3 Insulin Pens - 1 is always a spare, just in case). And carry your meter, test strips and lancets also in hand luggage. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SugarBuzz

SugarBuzz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've always been advised to never put insulin in hold luggage as the fluctuating temperatures - particularly the extreme cold - could damage it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. leslie10152

leslie10152 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's best to keep it with you. Ensure you have some form of documentation from your GP, some countries can be very fussy about people carrying syringes through customs. Even asprin can land you in hot water.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Sue81

Sue81 Type 2 · Active Member

I fly a lot for work and depending on the airport you can be asked to do a multitude of different things with your insulin.
    I always have a letter from the gp with me and just go with the flow of what they ask you to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

To add to the above also split your supplies between yourself and a travelling partner (if possible), that way if one bag goes missing you'll have enough supplies to last until you see a Dr.

Anyone under the care of a hospital diabetes clinic will likely find that they'll provide a letter free of charge :)

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

Thank You for that information @noblehead :).
    I am under the Hospital Diabetic Clinic (and have been for 4 years now) and no one told me I was eligible to a "free of charge" letter. My GP never said anything neither, just charged me the £25.00. I think in the future it is worth asking if in doubt about anything. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

It might be worth contacting the airline that you are travelling with to ask if there are any special regulations you need to be aware of, and telling them when you will be travelling.
    Far better to discover the rules early on than when you arrive unprepared.

12. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

Never put it in the hold.. Carry all D stuff in the cabin.
    Personally? I've traveled about & never had an issue..
    Though they did query me over a 5 pack of Mars bars that threw up an "anomaly" on the X-ray. A USB storage key ring, a guitar effect pedal & a toy Star Wars light sabre...
    It's amazing how I can get all my D stuff in!

On the whole.. Diabetic paraphanalia. They know what they are looking at when they scan it... ;)

Have a great break!

13. SugarBuzz

SugarBuzz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hopefully nothing too X-rated. Though that could depend on the country, right? :***:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook