Insulin Pen and Monitoring Problems

Hi,

I'm currently studying Product Design at Nottingham Trent University and I'm in the process of developing a product that aids the life of those with Type 2 diabetes. My current route is heading down a re-design of the current insulin pens and monitors out on the market at the moment. I think that its important to understand this area and would like to ask for assistance in my research for the development of the project.

Essentially, I'd like to find out more about the problems with insulin pens and monitors. Information such as whether they're difficult to use, a pain to carry around, hard to get into the habit of using, etc. Basically, the negatives to their current design/ system. One aspect I am looking at is portability. I understand that they may be hard to fit into pockets if you don't use/ want to use a handbag or backpack, etc. so information in this area would be extremely useful.

I hope you understand what I'm proposing and I'd be extremely appreciative of any help provided,

Thank you very much for your time,

Josh Briggs

Reactions: ME_Valentijn
M

ME_Valentijn

@Josh_Briggs_18 - It sounds like most Type 2 diabetics in the UK can't even get monitors and testing strips prescribed by their doctors. Cost is being prioritized over health. I'd love to see a cheap little hand-held monitor which doesn't require strips, or could be used with extremely cheap strips (think "torn up bits of paper" cheap).

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm currently studying Product Design at Nottingham Trent University and I'm in the process of developing a product that aids the life of those with Type 2 diabetes. My current route is heading down a re-design of the current insulin pens and monitors out on the market at the moment. I think that its important to understand this area and would like to ask for assistance in my research for the development of the project.

Essentially, I'd like to find out more about the problems with insulin pens and monitors. Information such as whether they're difficult to use, a pain to carry around, hard to get into the habit of using, etc. Basically, the negatives to their current design/ system. One aspect I am looking at is portability. I understand that they may be hard to fit into pockets if you don't use/ want to use a handbag or backpack, etc. so information in this area would be extremely useful.

I hope you understand what I'm proposing and I'd be extremely appreciative of any help provided,

Thank you very much for your time,

Josh Briggs

Hi,

I take it you have researched the current market & understand the application of these pen devices regarding all insulin dependants....
Regarding decreasing the size? For instance shortening the pen would negate the dosage dialling & ram mechanism regarding the current standard 3ml insulin cartridge prescribed...

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there a reason why you are asking for input from type 2 diabetics only?

@Josh_Briggs_18 - It sounds like most Type 2 diabetics in the UK can't even get monitors and testing strips prescribed by their doctors. Cost is being prioritized over health. I'd love to see a cheap little hand-held monitor which doesn't require strips, or could be used with extremely cheap strips (think "torn up bits of paper" cheap).
Hi, yes, part of my research has looked at cost as being a major problem, a more suistainable and longer lasting product could be a good route to head down! Thanks for you help!

Hi,

I take it you have researched the current market & understand the application of these pen devices regarding all insulin dependants....
Regarding decreasing the size? For instance shortening the pen would negate the dosage dialling & ram mechanism regarding the current standard 3ml insulin cartridge prescribed...
Hi, my research has highlighted this. However, I'm not necessarily looking at reducing the size, that is just one issue of I assume many that I'm trying to highlight (my lecturers want to know every single reasoning behind every single decision even if I know that I don't want to go down that route, you see). But for now I'm just looking at finding the practicality issues with the current pens and how they impact day to day life. It would be really good to learn of a "consumer journey", so like a step by step diary of a type 2 diabetics day including when they use the insulin pens, etc. would be really nice.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my research has highlighted this. However, I'm not necessarily looking at reducing the size, that is just one issue of I assume many that I'm trying to highlight (my lecturers want to know every single reasoning behind every single decision even if I know that I don't want to go down that route, you see). But for now I'm just looking at finding the practicality issues with the current pens and how they impact day to day life. It would be really good to learn of a "consumer journey", so like a step by step diary of a type 2 diabetics day including when they use the insulin pens, etc. would be really nice.
Ah, I see... Well the practicality of carrying a pen & indeed a meter is like having your own pancreas in yer pocket..

I mean. I remember the old days lugging about vials, glass syringes & a chemistry set to test pee sugar... I put the "Mars Rover" to shame!

When the first pens came out in MDI regime they were about 10mm longer, bland looking in a "Windows 95 PC" sort of way, made of brittle plastic..
The new ones are built like iPads!

Blood meters were bigger when they came out.. Nowadaze..?! Some thing like the USB next has a bright colour screen & looks like a Dongle or an MP3 player....

The "impact on day to day life" means I can wake up the following day & look forward to "Tomorrow world".. ;)

If you could manage to work out an accurate ram mechanism that shortens the pen by about 4.5cm?

You will be hailed as a GOD!