Insulin Pump Advice

Harry2001

Hello,

I have pushed my healthcare team to consider a insulin pump for myself as I think it would help with my control (so did the consultant at another hospital who gave a secondary opinion). My blood sugars average 10 but range between 8 and 14 on a normal day which my current hospital team say is "good management" (I personally dont think it is). I normally have 1 Unit to cover 4g of carbs but lately that has been not enough insulin for some reason so my thoughts are turning to getting a pump to manage that even better.

They have given me a few options:

- Medtronic 780g with self funded sensors
- T-slim
- Medtrum Patch Pump with self funded sensors

I dont really like the idea of having a canula and wire attached to me as I dont like other people noticing i have diabetes & i am about to start my first year of university in a couple of weeks. Has anyone had any experience with any of these pumps? Im leaning towards the medtrum as it will suspend bolus on lows but unfortunately wont yet increase dosage when going high like the 780g.
Can anyone weigh in please?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been using the Medtrum for the last two and a half years.
Whilst it is not perfect (I don’t think any are), I like it. I have had a tube pump in the past and didn’t like the bulk ones but was ok with the tubes.
I like the size of the Medtrum and really looking forward to it getting smaller. I also like being able to control it from my phone which makes it even more discrete.
Support from Medtrum has been fantastic. They support my more than my nhs team and keep me informed of updates. When friends with Medtronic pumps were complaining about supply problems during the pandemic, Medtrum proactively sent me extra supplies.

I do not have experience of their sensors so have to manually suspend the basal when my Libre alerts me I am going low but the phone app makes this really easy.
I am a fiddler so I am often tweaking my basal and have multiple basal patterns depending on whether it’s the weekend, I am exercising, I have exercised or whether it is a normal day (I don’t use that one very often).

Last edited:
Reactions: Harry2001

Harry2001

I have been using the Medtrum for the last two and a half years.
Whilst it is not perfect (I don’t think any are), I like it. I have had a tube pump in the past and didn’t like the bulk ones but was ok with the tubes.
I like the size of the Medtrum and really looking forward to it getting smaller. I also like being able to control it from my phone which makes it even more discrete.
Support from Medtrum has been fantastic. They support my more than my nhs team and keep me informed of updates. When friends with Medtronic pumps were complaining about supply problems during the pandemic, Medtrum proactively sent me extra supplies.

I do not have experience of their sensors so have to manually suspend the basal when my Libre alerts me I am going low but the phone app makes this really easy.
I am a fiddler so I am often tweaking my basal and have multiple basal patterns depending on whether it’s the weekend, I am exercising, I have exercised or whether it is a normal day (I don’t use that one very often).
Thank you for the reply. I have a question about the medtrum one too; can you set a different amount of basal insulin for a different time of day e.g. more in the mornings to stop a blood sugar rise apon waking up?
Thanks

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for the reply. I have a question about the medtrum one too; can you set a different amount of basal insulin for a different time of day e.g. more in the mornings to stop a blood sugar rise apon waking up?
Thanks
Yes. The biggest advantage of any insulin pump is to be able to vary the basal dose at different times of the day.
The Medtrum allows you to select a different basal dose (in 0.05 units per hour) for every 30 minutes. This is what I was referring to as the basal pattern.
You can set multiple basal patterns, set a temporary basal ( current basal pattern +/- a given percentage) for 30 minutes minutes to 24 hours and suspend basal completely suspend the basal for units of 15 minutes.
The Medtrum user manual is online if you want to know more https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1677495/Medtrum-A6-Touchcare.html

Harry2001

Yes. The biggest advantage of any insulin pump is to be able to vary the basal dose at different times of the day.
The Medtrum allows you to select a different basal dose (in 0.05 units per hour) for every 30 minutes. This is what I was referring to as the basal pattern.
You can set multiple basal patterns, set a temporary basal ( current basal pattern +/- a given percentage) for 30 minutes minutes to 24 hours and suspend basal completely suspend the basal for units of 15 minutes.
The Medtrum user manual is online if you want to know more https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1677495/Medtrum-A6-Touchcare.html
Amazing, thanks for the reply

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Amazing, thanks for the reply
Just to emphasise, the features I described above are not unique to the Medtrum and probably are not the ones to use to decide upon your pump as most, if not all, will allow these features.

One more thought though, you can request a trial Medtrum. This is just a dummy that you stick to yourself. It does not provide insulin and does not communicate with the app but it will give you an idea what it feels like to have something attached 24/7.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They have given me a few options:

- Medtronic 780g with self funded sensors

I have the Medtronic 670g, the predecessor of the 780g, have had it for a year now (with sensors)
I've found its auto-mode very very useful for dealing with the adventures that my blood sugar levels took overnight (not predictable at all), and I believe the 780g's automode is supposed to be better than the 670g's, ie it can do proper corrections on its own. And yes the Medtronic does have exactly the same thing about setting basal amounts for time periods - not sure what the minimum time frame is, think its 30 mins, not sure cant check whilst on auto-mode as it works it out itself

And yes the Medtronic is tubed, I haven't found an issue with it, but then it was that one or nothing so I didn't have much choice anyway, I got a pump pouch for it and am normally found wearing cargo trousers anyways so an extra bit doesn't make much difference to me, I was worried about it being a big lump attached by tubing before I got it (its my first pump), but I've had no issues with it so far, only times I've caught the tubing are in the kitchen first thing whilst still wearing my PJ's and I've left the tubing dangling cos I haven't tidied it away yet (I'm not awake in teh morning until I've eaten)

Reactions: Harry2001

Harry2001

Just to emphasise, the features I described above are not unique to the Medtrum and probably are not the ones to use to decide upon your pump as most, if not all, will allow these features.

One more thought though, you can request a trial Medtrum. This is just a dummy that you stick to yourself. It does not provide insulin and does not communicate with the app but it will give you an idea what it feels like to have something attached 24/7.
Good idea, i'll take a look into getting one of those trial ones, thanks

Harry2001

I have the Medtronic 670g, the predecessor of the 780g, have had it for a year now (with sensors)
I've found its auto-mode very very useful for dealing with the adventures that my blood sugar levels took overnight (not predictable at all), and I believe the 780g's automode is supposed to be better than the 670g's, ie it can do proper corrections on its own. And yes the Medtronic does have exactly the same thing about setting basal amounts for time periods - not sure what the minimum time frame is, think its 30 mins, not sure cant check whilst on auto-mode as it works it out itself

And yes the Medtronic is tubed, I haven't found an issue with it, but then it was that one or nothing so I didn't have much choice anyway, I got a pump pouch for it and am normally found wearing cargo trousers anyways so an extra bit doesn't make much difference to me, I was worried about it being a big lump attached by tubing before I got it (its my first pump), but I've had no issues with it so far, only times I've caught the tubing are in the kitchen first thing whilst still wearing my PJ's and I've left the tubing dangling cos I haven't tidied it away yet (I'm not awake in teh morning until I've eaten)
Thank you very much for the reply, this helps

HJF

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I'm quite new to this forum even though I've been a type 1 for 25 years. I was looking for some advice, as I have an Insight pump by Roche and I'm due for a change as I've had it for quite a while - has anyone got any recommendations? Thanks

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forum @HJF.

Have you asked your hospital team which pumps are available in your area? Once you know that there are some good reviews on YouTube. Things to consider include: are you looking for a pump to use in conjunction with a cgm, or just a stand alone pump? Do you want a tubed or untubed pump? Weight/size of pump.

Sorry I can't offer a recommendation as I'm on the Combo which isn't being given out any more. Tried Omnipod which didn't work for me, but others find it great.

HJF

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @HJF.

Have you asked your hospital team which pumps are available in your area? Once you know that there are some good reviews on YouTube. Things to consider include: are you looking for a pump to use in conjunction with a cgm, or just a stand alone pump? Do you want a tubed or untubed pump? Weight/size of pump.

Sorry I can't offer a recommendation as I'm on the Combo which isn't being given out any more. Tried Omnipod which didn't work for me, but others find it great.
Thanks for responding, the hospital are going to email a list of what I can have. I'm used to insight, but sometimes a change can be a good thing.!! But it is quite a big decision.

Reactions: Hopeful34

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes a change can be a good thing. The insight has/is being discontinued from the end of this year at the latest anyway. So unless you can get one before then, it won't be an option. Roche will only offer a patch pump going forward. Agree it's quite a big decision.

HJF

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes a change can be a good thing. The insight has/is being discontinued from the end of this year at the latest anyway. So unless you can get one before then, it won't be an option. Roche will only offer a patch pump going forward. Agree it's quite a big decision.