Insulin pump and dafne

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To answer your original question yes you need to do DAFNE to get a pump. My advice, just suck it up and do it. your life will improve with a pump but its a hoop you have to jump through.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If thats your doctors rules, then thats what you will have to do.

I didnt do dafne, but my log book clearly gave full evidence of carb counting...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had to do it, even though I could prove carb counting, wore a CGM for a week logged all of that (yes they gave me a taste and now cant understand why I wont give it up!) and all of that. 3 months after DAFNE my Hba haddent come down so they applyed for pump. I was lucky I only waited 10 years.

megsayssmile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I just have to arrange to do the course. I was just looking for advice about it. I wanted to know what this course entailed because my doctors didn't give me any info.

janetrm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Anyone with an insulin pump have to do the dafne course. My doctor won't allow me to have an insulin pump till I've done this course. Please help!

I have a pump, and you need to know how much carb you are eating to be able to bolus correctly. That's what the DAFNE course is about - learning the correct amount of carb in everything you eat and how much to deliver in bolus. I also have to take thyroxine (thyroid eaten by my immune system and now completely gone) and I also have Addison's Disease so have to take steroids, all of which interfere with diabetes control. I therefore have my insulin doses carefully matched to my needs. It is very important to do the DAFNE course before getting the pump in order to use it properly.

Reactions: 3 people

clifft

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The hospital is no help at all is it? To be honest I feel failed by the nhs as they don't help you cope with your diabetes when going through a hard time. They will be told that I will have a pump though. I really don't want this course though. What does it entail?

I have just this morning completed the DAFNE course 11/4/2014. You may think there is nothing to learn; that you are doing everything by the book and still cant control your bloods. Well I was one of those very same people and what you learn is how your diabetes works, I mean in depth to the degree that you actually understand what is happening in your body. If you dont know how your body reacts to situations, ie insulin, alcohol, stress and illness to name but a few, then how can you make the right adjustments.The DAFNE course is NOT about giving you grief, it is about education. You will probably have a small group (ours was 9) and the networking, ie ability to tell someone who is in the same situation about your feelings etc is fantastic. You tend to help each other by sharing your first hand experiences and they will have many different ones to yourself, but probably can relate to. Please dont blame the NHS or your doctors, get on the course, I guarantee you wont be disappointed. BTW if you still think you need a pump after the course, you will certainly have more ammunition to use to get your goal. I hope this helps you and many others who think the course would be a waste of time.

Reactions: 2 people

schreis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We have not done the course, my daughter has been diabetic for four months and shes just been put on a pump, we have a great team and hospital, sad so many are struggling to get the pump, shes still being adjusted but shes not as high as she was and the freedom for a child is huge. She loves her pump.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I dont see why you couldnt do it- there is no content that should be age restricted (other than alcohol) and its not like your actually going to drink during the course... Good luck :)

clifft

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We have not done the course, my daughter has been diabetic for four months and shes just been put on a pump, we have a great team and hospital, sad so many are struggling to get the pump, shes still being adjusted but shes not as high as she was and the freedom for a child is huge. She loves her pump.

Well done and I hope everything goes well for you and your daughter. I believe the circumstances are or can be different for children, and with a good diabetic team I think you can get through. Apparently there are more people getting the use of pumps, so assuming there is a little more investment into Diabetes. Or it could be the good old Post Code Lottery that prevents their issue. I believe they are quite expensive for the NHS

bealily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on the Animas Insulin pump but I didn't have to do this course but they did look at my Hba1c and because it was high for so long they thought I would benefit from having one. I've had it 3 years now and I'm so blessed because it means that I don't have to worry about injecting all the time and there is a menu that carb counts and uses your BG to work out the insulin dosage! It's definitely worth the wait and good luck to anyone who wants one!

Lily06

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I'm 8 I was dignosed when I was 4 I have got a pump and it's so much better bethore I got a pump I went to a pump night after school and I learnt lots of story about the pump.

Hopefully this helps u,
;) :) :( ;(