1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Insulin Pump And Radiological Technician Job

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by LucyZu, Jul 21, 2018.

1. LucyZu

LucyZu · Newbie

Hello everyone!
    I have a question about the work of a radiologist if I wear an insulin pump and if I'm a type 1 diabetic, obviously. I know they are always exposed to radiation, but they are always in separate rooms and I do not think this has any effect on the insulin pump or is not it true? If it must also be exposed directly to the radiation, the pump can always be discharged to max 2h. I wonder if there is someone here that is a radiologist and has a pump or you know someone who is? What are the experiences and how do you deal with it? Are you discouraging at work or something like that? How do others behave towards you and how do they experience you? Are there any contraindications?
    For a year I will go to college and I really would like to do this in the future ... so if there is someone please let me know :)
    Thank you

2. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I can't fully answer your question but perhaps I can she'd a little light on the subject.

I work in R+D for a company that makes radiotherapy equipment. We generally find that many electronic components degrade and fail through exposure to an electron beam.

But the effect varies greatly with distance from the beam and is difficult to predict.

HOWEVER, If following correct protocols you will not be in the treatment room when the radiation is on and it shouldn't be an issue for you. The control room is shielded to protect clinical staff.

If your work takes you anywhere near machines that use Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), be aware that the strength of the magnetic field can kill electronic components easily, even when the machine is not radiating. (We managed to innocently destroy an expensive digital camera - you learn the hard way).

• Like Like x 1
    #2 urbanracer, Jul 21, 2018 at 5:19 PM
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook