Insulin Pump at Work

Kasser

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's a possibility my employer will say I can't wear a pump at work. What are my rights?

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's a possibility my employer will say I can't wear a pump at work. What are my rights?
Has your hospital diabetes team prescribed you a pump? You have previously asked about using sensor with reader/phone at work. How did you resolve that?

Nicola M

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You’re covered under the Equality Act, it’d fall under reasonable adjustments as it’s something you must have on you at all times.

• Agree
Reactions: Juicyj

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it depends upon the reason and whether there is a pump which satisfies some health and safety or security concerns.
For example, if they are concerned by the tube getting caught, you could have a tubeless pump. If you work in a secure sight, they may not like Bluetooth control. Some pumps work directly on the pump rather than via "remote control."
The equality act requires :"reasonable adjustments" and there is no reason why that cannot go both ways with appropriate pump selection.

However, if your employer is just being awkward, that is not acceptable.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

Kasser

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has your hospital diabetes team prescribed you a pump? You have previously asked about using sensor with reader/phone at work. How did you resolve that?
I just got a reader in the end, but I had been working from home for a while using the Libre app which was great but when I went back into work had to give that up.

Kasser

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it depends upon the reason and whether there is a pump which satisfies some health and safety or security concerns.
For example, if they are concerned by the tube getting caught, you could have a tubeless pump. If you work in a secure sight, they may not like Bluetooth control. Some pumps work directly on the pump rather than via "remote control."
The equality act requires :"reasonable adjustments" and there is no reason why that cannot go both ways with appropriate pump selection.

However, if your employer is just being awkward, that is not acceptable.
It is the bluetooth they have a problem with they asked if that could be switched off, if so they had no problem but I assume maybe wrongly...i'm an old woman not a techy...that Bluetooth needs to be on for the pod and sensor to talk to each other.
I'm due to get an Omnipod 5 in july.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
What's your work environment and what is the issue with tech ?

Curious to establish grounds for this, as have never come across an employer before who would deny access to using a medical device whose primary role is to keep you alive.

Reactions: EllieM

Kasser

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What's your work environment and what is the issue with tech ?

Curious to establish grounds for this, as have never come across an employer before who would deny access to using a medical device whose primary role is to keep you alive.
Unfortunately not at liberty to answer that which may in it self give you some clue.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is the bluetooth they have a problem with they asked if that could be switched off, if so they had no problem but I assume maybe wrongly...i'm an old woman not a techy...that Bluetooth needs to be on for the pod and sensor to talk to each other.
I'm due to get an Omnipod 5 in july.
Yes, you will need Bluetooth to use the closed loop which requires communication between the pump and your sensor.
You case use a pump without closed loop - it is what I have been doing for the last 8 years - but Omnipod needs Bluetooth to talk to the PDM so that would not help.
It maybe worthwhile seeing if you could set up a call with a techy from Insulet and your employer's security team to see if there is a technical way around this. For example, if your security team understand the restrictions of the Bluetooth communication between the pump and sensor the y may realise there is no risk
(I suggest involving Insulet rather than just your DSN because I have experienced how deep such conversations can go.)

Reactions: ElenaP

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake

I work in an Atex class 1 & 2 zone (explosive environments)

And my company has not been able to prevent the wearing of ‘essential medical equipment’ What the have had todo is dedicate areas of the site that I’m not allowed to enter

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Understand your unable to say your employment, but your employer is obliged to ensure you are not discriminated against regarding your diabetes, they would legally be in the wrong if they told you not to wear a pump, have a reader for your pump, or not to wear a CGM or have a CMG reader. They might have security grounds for not allowing mobile phones, I've come across this in the distant past but each time I was allowed to operate a reader for my CGM (I did not have a hands free pump). In the early days BT connection was deemed to hold a level of security risk but those days are long gone. As mentioned by @searley if there are health and safety reasons then these need to be covered by named working area's that are safe for you.

Reactions: ElenaP

Kasser

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, you will need Bluetooth to use the closed loop which requires communication between the pump and your sensor.
You case use a pump without closed loop - it is what I have been doing for the last 8 years - but Omnipod needs Bluetooth to talk to the PDM so that would not help.
It maybe worthwhile seeing if you could set up a call with a techy from Insulet and your employer's security team to see if there is a technical way around this. For example, if your security team understand the restrictions of the Bluetooth communication between the pump and sensor the y may realise there is no risk
(I suggest involving Insulet rather than just your DSN because I have experienced how deep such conversations can go.)
Thank you everyone
Your right I think before I travel any further on this pump journey I need some techy people at work to speak to
Yes you're right I think I need some techy work people to speak direct to Insulet. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: In Response

Kasser

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I work in an Atex class 1 & 2 zone (explosive environments)

And my company has not been able to prevent the wearing of ‘essential medical equipment’ What the have had todo is dedicate areas of the site that I’m not allowed to enter
That gives me some hope. Thanks

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
That gives me some hope. Thanks

Side note, there is a ban on smart watches on site due to the batteries, but they cant ask me to remove mine as I have a hospital letter stating my smart watch is essential due to it showing my BG

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM

Kasser

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Side note, there is a ban on smart watches on site due to the batteries, but they cant ask me to remove mine as I have a hospital letter stating my smart watch is essential due to it showing my BG
Fully understand. Thank you.