Insulin pump or CGM?

wallyk65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
I'm an insulin dependent type1 diabetic living in Scotland and our government has announced they are making an extra £1million available for insulin pumps and I have registered an interest in getting one. I know they can be very difficult to get right in the beginning and are not always the best way to go. So I was wondering whether trying to get a CGM instead would be more beneficial? Has anyone tried both? My Hba1c is steady at around 66, which I know is too high, and I rarely suffer from hypos. I would like to get my control a bit tighter.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Difficult question @wallyk65!

I have a pump but not a CGM. I love my pump because it allows me to adjust my basal to match my needs far better than injections ever could. If I could afford a CGM, my pump supports it and I'm sure it would be very useful too.

If I had to choose, I'd choose a pump, but that's just my opinion :)

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
I don't have a pump but do have a freestyle libre cgm. It has made my control the best it's ever been. It costs £100 a month but to me it is worth every penny. I go without other things to afford it. Again this is just my opinion and I have never wanted or had a pump.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a pump, and I self-fund a Libre, which is a flash monitor rather than a fully-fledged CGM (I would love a CGM but this is halfway there, so no complaints - well, apart from the cost). I got the Libre after I got the pump, so although I've experienced a pump without a Libre I have not experienced a Libre without a pump.

Still, I feel that either in isolation would be amazing, but in combination I have found them life-changing.

:):):)

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the Dexom G5 mobile and currenly have no interest in having a pump; however I am lucky in that my control is currently very tight (possibly still honeymooning; although I am over 2 years diagnosed now). CGM is amazing because you always know "where you are" and if injections are working okay for you there is no need to change; I personally don't like the idea of a constant infusion of insulin and having to deal with pump-failures/site infections etc. - I feel comfortable with the basal/bolus regime, but of course everyone is different. CGM is great to nip quickly rising/falling levels in the bud before it's "too late" and gives me invaluable confidence and reassurance overnight and when exercising. I don't think I could cope with T1D without it, to be honest.

Gary61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I'm an insulin dependent type1 diabetic living in Scotland and our government has announced they are making an extra £1million available for insulin pumps and I have registered an interest in getting one. I know they can be very difficult to get right in the beginning and are not always the best way to go. So I was wondering whether trying to get a CGM instead would be more beneficial? Has anyone tried both? My Hba1c is steady at around 66, which I know is too high, and I rarely suffer from hypos. I would like to get my control a bit tighter.
It would be the pump without question. I've been a type 1 for 38 yrs. The level of control it gives is far superior to injecting multiple times and makes me feel safe when sleeping which is a big plus. I've just started using a CGM with my Animas Pump and for the first time ever, feel as if I'm in total control of myself. My Hba1 by the way is 42 and believe me when I tell you that I eat what I want, when I want. Anyway, good luck if you do

Reactions: azure

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have both like some of the others and have been blessed with having a CGM before the pump (I say blessed, it was self funded) and I have to say that CGM for sure. I am new to the pump and the results have been phenomenal compared to MDI but CGM really puts your actions into perspective.

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
I am probably overly in love with "Dex", my CGM. Not ready for a pump, even though dr. keeps pushing. Can't imagine dealing with the tubing right now; having this tiny plastic thing hanging onto my stomach is hard enough. Good luck with your decision.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am probably overly in love with "Dex", my CGM. Not ready for a pump, even though dr. keeps pushing. Can't imagine dealing with the tubing right now; having this tiny plastic thing hanging onto my stomach is hard enough. Good luck with your decision.

For the same reason I went for an omnipod, its about double the size of a dexcom but not taller.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say that each type of technology can be more beneficial than the other for different people and different circumstances.

To me, there is no value in a pump. The precision a pump offers doesn't benefit me over the insulin pens I use that can adjust in .5u increments. However, that precision could certainly benefit someone who experiences massive (10mmol/l+ changes within a one hour period) blood glucose swings even with a moderated diet.

What is extremely valuable to me is the quality of information and quality of life my CGM (Dexcom G5) provides. I have the luxury of going to sleep each night and living my life knowing that I will receive alerts every time my blood glucose drops below 3mmol/l or rises above 8.3 mmol/l.

Bottom line answer: this question was raised in a JDRF meeting I attended with about 20 other type 1 diabetics. Not a single person said they favored their pump over their cgm and several actually went back to insulin pens after acquiring their cgm.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a dexcom and an omnipod. I started with CGM when I was on mdi and it did show me the limitations of mdi to a large degree. But realistically, if I was forced to choose one or the other I would choose to keep my CGM, but that's because I have no hypo awareness and need something to wake me up for lows in the night. I'm not going to get forced to choose because dexcom is self funded. I wouldn't want to give up my pump, there are big benefits:- 1) bespoke basal rates; 2) temporary basal rates making basal much more flexible; 3) exact I:C ratio dosages; 4) extended boluses. Maybe have a look at sugar surfing for tips on how to use a CGM to manage diabetes.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I am also in Scotland. Where do you register an interest in the pump?

My circumstances appear to be very similar to your own, I have been diabetic for 36 years with a HBAC1 of around 63

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I have done a search on Yahoo but cannot find anything relating to this

iHs

I am also in Scotland. Where do you register an interest in the pump?

My circumstances appear to be very similar to your own, I have been diabetic for 36 years with a HBAC1 of around 63

Google iPAG Scotland ☺ insulin pump awareness group

wallyk65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi.
I get three monthly check ups with my hospital diabetes team and they asked if I was interested in the possibility of getting the pump. I had heard of the extra funding prior to appointment.

Reactions: azure