Insulin pump or not??

dotsy1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been diagnosed since October 2014 so still fairly new to it all. I'm managing OK using pens but have been considering going onto the pump to help me manage more effectively. I'm 25 and work full time as a Teacher so sometimes have no time to eat on an afternoon.

Having only found out I was diabetic by being admitted to intensive care with DKA I am concerned about having no background insulin when using a pump and developing DKA quicker. As stupid as this probably sounds as well I don't want to feel like there is something wrong with me or making it more obvious I'm diabetic.

If anyone could give me any advice who has been using a pump about what its like living with one (sleeping, showering managing to conceal it when wearing dresses etc) it would be greatly appreciated x

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @dotsy1990 I got a pump around 18 months ago, been diabetic 26 years, best thing I've ever done, it takes a lot of work with testing bg to get basal right and ratios for bolus but it's so worth it!

I couldn't imagine my life without mine now, did have a couple of hiccups at first, ended up 29.5 one night but was my own fault had done a set change that hadn't actually gone in properly but for some reason that still bugs me now I didn't test my bg before I went to bed so didn't see that it was already starting to creep up, woke up hours later feeling unwell which is when I got the 29.5 reading.

So as long as you test every few hours it's fine, I've found that since getting mine I'm not often hungry for breakfast, my bg is pretty spot on when I wake up, on injections I used to get terrible dawn phenomenon which I think made me more hungry.

My hba1c has improved dramatically.

Sleeping with it I don't find a problem, i worried about that constantly before getting the pump and the first couple of nights I was waking up checking everything was still in and working but I just let it roam free and follow me when I toss and turn and haven't had no probs.

I usually tuck mine in my bra or if I'm wearing trousers with pockets it goes in there, if I'm wearing something tight fitting I put the clip onto the pump and clip it to the front bit of my bra in the middle and it's pretty hidden or I've got a Hid-In body band which is great but I think it's best using the remote when wearing that and I dislike my remote... Hope I've helped and not rambled too much, Abbie x

Reactions: 10 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Mrsass has replied brilliantly -- and I've only had mine a week - but I would echo what she's said about sleeping etc...

Like you I was really worried about that (probably one of my biggest worries actually -- because I often get too hot in the night and strip off (soz for the tmi!) plus move around a lot, and had visions of it being flung from one side of the bed; or flying through the air and whacking me in the head!!) -- but I was honestly *amazed* that I slept through completely the first and second night! It's pretty much been the same since, so far... And I can't imagine it would suddenly change...

The other thing I would say is I'm SO GLAD I got the Hid-In belt before I got the pump... Or else I would be uber stressed about where to wear the pump as I often wear flimsy dresses especially in the summer, and I actually find the pump a little bulky with the clip attached -- you'd definitely see it with the kind of clothes I tend to wear if I relied on the clip to clip it places... Which is fine and at some point I might not care, but right now whilst it's new I love love love the fact that I can play around with the belt and where to put it and haven't once felt uncomfortable or self conscious (and it's been a particularly social week for me this week so was a good test!). In fact I've been playing 'spot the bot' with friends and family - and no one can... :D

The thing I've heard about DKA is making sure you get sets that are right for you... I've been given two different sets to try this week as well as two different set lengths, and I'm really glad as they are different / do feel different... I think if you get your set right for you then you're much more 'safe' on that front. Plus if you've a 640g you can set it to alert you if you're high I think? @Mrsass may be able to advise better on that side of things cos I've not enough experience yet :)

Anyway -- I already feel someone would have to fight me hard for my pump -- and I was as nervous about the things as you are; particularly sleeping and how to wear it... Hope that helps! Ask anything else you think of...x

Reactions: 10 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @dotsy1990

After using a pump since 1999 I've had DKA twice and neither of those were due to pump failure. You become a super sleuth at checking that everything is working correctly, testing regularly and if bg levels are rising for no apparent reason trying to work out what isn't working properly. The first culprit is usually the cannula either being kinked or in a bad position so you always need to keep a back up pen and cartridges just in case insulin delivery is interrupted. I've found the plus points in terms of stable, good control greatly outweigh the negatives and not having long acting insulin in my life for me is a positive.

You develop ways to deal with putting the pump somewhere safe with clothing, I usually wear a skirt or trousers with a waist band or pocket so I can clip my pump away, dresses are more of a challenge but there are all sorts of belts, pouches or just tucking it into your bra to conceal it. I've only had a couple of strange looks or comments when I've had to delve down my top to cancel a bleeping pump alarm when out with 'normal people'.

Showering/ bath time I just disconnect it, leaving the cannula in my stomach or wherever it is and reconnect afterwards. Sleeping, my pump seems quite obedient and stays quite close to me or on a pyjama shorts waistband.

A pump is a great way to manage unpredictable working hours, illness , unexpected events due to the flexibility it offers for setting temporary basal rates - either increase or decreased or totally suspending insulin delivery if needed. Most of the time I'm not really aware of my pump and have to feel which side of my waistband or pocket it's in.

Reactions: 6 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@artemis I've just seen a post on Facebook from the girl that has the Hid-In company and she's looking for ladies to trial some 'pump pants' just thought I'd let you know in case you were interested :)

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@dotsy1990, there's some excellent information in the following about insulin pumps and the process involved in getting one:

http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/

Pre-pump I shared your concerns about the possibility of DKA if the pump failed and no insulin was being delivered, however the pumps do have alarms and will alert you in most cases if this was to happen, plus as you test more frequently on a pump than on MDI your likely to spot any high bg levels and act accordingly, when you switch to a pump you must also keep insulin pens handy and use these in times of emergency.

As for sleeping and showering, I'm using the Omnipod Pump (tubeless) so there no tubing to get tangled in your sleep and the pods can be worn when bathing as they are waterproof, so your connected to your pump at all times.

Have a word with your DSN/Consultant if you think a insulin pump would be a better option for you, they would have to authorise this first and make a case for why a pump would improve your diabetes control and quality of life. Good luck.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
A pump delivers the basal insulin but because it it is only quick acting you could only have 5 hours of insulin in you at any time..

But is is delivering a constant feed of insulin unless you have any pump or site issues.

Reactions: 2 people

dotsy1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your comments they are really helpful! I have an appointment with my diabetes nurse on Wednesday so will speak to her and see if I can get put on the waiting list for it. You have all put me so much more at ease with your comments and how you are finding using pumps. I honestly gratefully appreciate your comments!

@Mrsass @donnellysdogs @noblehead @-Artemis- @Flowerpot

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@dotsy1990 like you I'm in the process of deciding on pumps and also which particualr one to go with. One very useful thing the clinic may be able to help with is facilitating a trial with the insulin pump company. I contacted Animas who supply the Vibe and they were quick to respond. They came to the clinic, set me up and even let me trial a Dexcom sensor so I can see how the Vibe integrates with the CGM so I can view my sugar levels.

Not every company will do that and it will also be down to your clinic, but at least it will give you an idea of what it feels like to live with a pump for a week and then decide whether the above pro's outweigh the cons.

dotsy1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jemzor that's a fab idea but not too sure if my clinic would support that. I have an appointment with my consultant in 2 weeks so will speak to him about it :)