Insulin Pump side effects

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I started using an insulin pump in May 2013 and although I've had great HBA1C results (10.3 down to 8.7) I've had nothing but problems with my health since. I have gained two stone and also developed severe water retention in my legs which doesn't go down. This has now started in my hands and wrists. I've had all the tests at the GP's and nothing can explain the water retention. My diabetes team have had very little to say and I feel it can't be a coincidence that this started shortly after I started on the pump? Has anyone else had similar or shed any light on this?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not a pump user but I'll 'bump' your post up in the hope that you get a reply from someone.

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I started using an insulin pump in May 2013 and although I've had great HBA1C results (10.3 down to 8.7) I've had nothing but problems with my health since. I have gained two stone and also developed severe water retention in my legs which doesn't go down. This has now started in my hands and wrists. I've had all the tests at the GP's and nothing can explain the water retention. My diabetes team have had very little to say and I feel it can't be a coincidence that this started shortly after I started on the pump? Has anyone else had similar or shed any light on this?

Hi.
I think that it is unusual for people to gain weight on the pump, as it becomes so much easier to have the correct amount of insulin for the food you eat instead of eating to feed the Insulin which was my problem before I got my pump.
What has happened to your insulin dosage since you started on the pump? I think most people reduce it by about a third when they start on the pump, I know I did.
Were you normal weight before and have you changed your eating pattern?
Well done for reducing your HbA1c but 8.7 is still on the high side.But of course it is best to reduce it gradually and you haven't had the pump for that long.
I don't have any idea about your symptoms but maybe someone else on here can help.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same as above, not usual side effects from pumping. Your hba1c is still on the high side, so may relieve symptoms if it was lower. At lest its going down. so would suggest a consultation with your dsn/consultant to review your readings/dosage. One suggestion I would have is to discuss a change in the qa insulin your currently using

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My weight increased as I tried statins again from June 2013. Was on Lipitor, however I have stopped them again as the chest pains I had first time round came back again, the day I stopped taking them my heart pains stopped. However, I wonder if you have started taking a statin at all, as weight gain is also written on some statins as a side effect....since stopping the statin my weight has naturally dropped.. Even with eating moreover Xmas and not doing much physical work.

The pump does allow more freedom really to eat more to be honest, have a look at your total insulin doses that you were averaging on mdi, and compare to today's total insulin dosages... If you aren't honestly eating more, then your totals should be less now than when you were on mdi.

Are you taking any different drugs that can be causing water retention?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Do sit with your legs raised when sitting on settees or comfy chairs...

jopar

Is the weight that you've gained still means that you are still withing normal weight range for your height?

Going by your HbA1c, it's possible that at times you were running high which means that insulin isn't being utilised by the body and so the body using any available fat source to fuel...

So if weight gain is a small amount and has stablised, you still within the range for your height, then this would be normal

As to water retention, really don't know and wouldn't like to hazard a guess whether it's an reaction to starting insulin pump therapy