Insulin Pump Training

lyndsayob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! I'm considering enquiring about the insulin pump through my diabetes clinic. What is the typical duration for training for using the insulin pump? On other forums it looks like training time can vary widely from 2 hours to 5 days so I'm interested on hearing other people's experiences! Is it really as good as everyone says? Thanks in advance.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Prior to start date I just had an hours session with the DSN looking at the pump and discussing with them any question and concerns that I had, on the actual start date I went to the clinic at around 9.30am and was home again at lunch pumping insulin, on the day there was the pump rep and the pump DSN in attendance, so not a lot of training but if you read-up on pumps beforehand (the book Pumping Insulin is a great read) you will have all basics to get you started with.

Since starting on the pump I've had 2 quick training sessions with the rep, just going through things like getting the most from the various bolus delivery options on the pump and using the TBR facility (temporary basal rate) for times of illness and exercising.

If you want to know a bit more about pumps and how it is funded on the NHS have a read of the following @lyndsayob :

http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/alt-insulin-pumps/

Reactions: lyndsayob

lyndsayob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@noblehead thank you for the quick reply! I'll have a look at the book you suggested as I've heard a lot of good things about it. Will also take a look at the link you provided. Thanks for all the information on your training experience. Its a lot to take in but I'm thinking about at least giving it a go!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive had 2 pump starts in 2 different hospitals. The first one was a 2 hour session with DSN and pump rep. The second was a 2 hour session with the DSN. DSNs have been pretty easily accessible after pump start and in fairly close email contact.

I would also suggest pumping insulin is well worth a read before starting on a pump.

lyndsayob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@catapillar thanks for sharing your experience! Sounds like a good idea to do some research upfront and maybe get some questions together. Has going onto the insulin pump been worth it for you?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@catapillar thanks for sharing your experience! Sounds like a good idea to do some research upfront and maybe get some questions together. Has going onto the insulin pump been worth it for you?

Worth what? Yes there are hoops to jump through to access a pump and it takes a bit of educating youself to get the most out of your pump, but no actual payment. I don't feel like Ive done any figurative payment to get a pump that it has to be worth.

The pump hasn't solved my problems. But I don't think I would go back to mdi.

If you're wondering whether a pump would suit you you should probably ask yourself what it is you think a pump will solve for you / what issues it is you think a pump will help with and then considering whether a pump can actually help with those issues.

lyndsayob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Worth what? Yes there are hoops to jump through to access a pump and it takes a bit of educating youself to get the most out of your pump, but no actual payment. I don't feel like Ive done any figurative payment to get a pump that it has to be worth.

The pump hasn't solved my problems. But I don't think I would go back to mdi.

If you're wondering whether a pump would suit you you should probably ask yourself what it is you think a pump will solve for you / what issues it is you think a pump will help with and then considering whether a pump can actually help with those issues.
Thanks for the advice. I was just meaning do you think that going on the insulin pump as opposed to for example insulin injections was a good change for you? I don't know anyone with diabetes who uses an Insulin pump so it was really just a question out of curiosity

Reactions: Medusa41

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I am approaching retirement age and been on pump about 6 months now after 50 yrs on mdi. I don't want to go back to injections. It's not a cure, but for many a better way of life. Try one if you have the chance. If you don't you will never know.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think if you have been offered one due to issues only a pump can solve then its worth it....

Wanting one just because they are available is fine too but if your coming from an insulin regime that hasn't been too technical in terms of dose adjustment there will be some education required...

I was already clued up so I only spent a couple of hours learning how to operate the device.....as did the others with me, as you had to be DAFNE trained and struggling with issues that only a pump could solve...

lyndsayob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think if you have been offered one due to issues only a pump can solve then its worth it....

Wanting one just because they are available is fine too but if your coming from an insulin regime that hasn't been too technical in terms of dose adjustment there will be some education required...

I was already clued up so I only spent a couple of hours learning how to operate the device.....as did the others with me, as you had to be DAFNE trained and struggling with issues that only a pump could solve...
Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty well controlled overall at the moment and have attended the DAFNE course so I do carb counting and dose adjustment. To be honest I'm just keen to find out if it would help with control during and after exercise and stop the crazy after breakfast spikes I get regardless of what I eat in the morning.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty well controlled overall at the moment and have attended the DAFNE course so I do carb counting and dose adjustment. To be honest I'm just keen to find out if it would help with control during and after exercise and stop the crazy after breakfast spikes I get regardless of what I eat in the morning.

You seem like you would manage it OK and it would help get tighter control.....so you should ask about it....

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going to be annoying :bag:;)

What processes have you used(and failed) to try and fix the crazy breakfast spikes?

lyndsayob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going to be annoying :bag:;)

What processes have you used(and failed) to try and fix the crazy breakfast spikes?
I've tried taking my insulin in advance of eating and eating less carb/low gi foods. I normally go to the gym in the morning before breakfast and find that this causes my sugar levels to creep up and then the breakfast adds to this increase.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The gym before breakfast would definitely need more thought I would say.....its quite tricky to get right I would imagine...

how much of a creep are we talking after the gym.....

I know were going off topic here a bit.....;)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How far in advance have you tried bolusing, what amount of carbs have you tried and normally have? Are you sure your basal levels are properly correct, and also bolus ratios? Do you get the same spike without going to the gym or having breakfast before the gym? but like novorapidboi26 has said it might be tricky

ok, so how would a pump help out?

(I did say I was going to be annoying ;))

lyndsayob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The gym before breakfast would definitely need more thought I would say.....its quite tricky to get right I would imagine...

how much of a creep are we talking after the gym.....

I know were going off topic here a bit.....;)
I've seen my blood sugar levels double as a result of eating breakfast after the gym... However they normally come back down considerably before lunch again and I'm sure the DAFNE tutor said that they are most interested in pre meal glucose readings. I find the spikes make me feel very nauseous.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You would expect to be more insulin sensitive post exercise....

but yeah, spikes as you know are a result of mis-timing of the insulin dose.....and you say you have experimented with the timing?