1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Insulin pump

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Jokeeble1987, May 8, 2013.

1. Jokeeble1987

Jokeeble1987 Type 1 · Member

Hi, I'm type 1 diabetic. Have been for 14 years now. I really want the insulin pump, but I've been told by my consultant I have to do the Daphne's course and if that doesn't work they will think about letting me have one. Anyone else having problems getting one?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. Lucypieee

Lucypieee · Well-Known Member

Part of the NICE criteria states that you need to able to carb count and adjust your insulin levels accordingly with what you eat and what your BG is.

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

3. Lucypieee

Lucypieee · Well-Known Member

Should have said the NICE insulin pump criteria. :)

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

We often here that a carb counting course such as DAFNE is a prerequisite before going onto a pump, the course itself is really good and spread over 5 days so you have plenty of opportunity to take in what it teaches.

Good luck and hope your successful :thumbup:

5. leb

leb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi I have been on a pump since last August. It is great for me and has improved my control amazingly but I must add that if you dont know how to carb count, work out your ratios etc then a pump is pointless because you need to have this knowledge to be able to use it accordingly.
    The whole process can be a long one but if its what you want then its worth the wait.

6. Jokeeble1987

Jokeeble1987 Type 1 · Member

I see, so I need to know how to carb count. This explains why I need to do this course. Before I can get a pump.

7. leb

leb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yep definitely carb counting is a must and to be honest with or without the pump using the DAFNE principles makes controlling your levels muvh esxier

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook