Insulin ratios before birth

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hey ladies, I hope someone can give some insight. So I’m going in for c section on the 28th, I will be put on a sliding scale, but my obstetrician has said that the night before I should lower all my basal/bolus rates. I’m assuming this is because I need to starve for a certain amount of hours before the operation. Does this sound right?
Thanks

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
You need to check with your endo @myarnton1 asa soon as possible.
For ops and fasting I do not take short-acting insulin for the time when I am not eating and may modify my long-acting/basal a bit - but important for you to get advice from your endo !!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I agree with @kitedoc we can't give you insulin advice here, so please check with either your endo or speak to your DSN.

I had an emergency cesarean and was on insulin and cannot remember for the life of me what happened, bit of a blur now.. !

JBlaza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, traffic fumes
I've never had a c-section but was on a sliding scale when I had steroid injections before an induction and didn't have to adjust any ratios then.
Worth noting that your insulin requirements are supposed to go back to pre-pregnancy levels as soon as you've given birth so might be linked to that?
I'm trying to remember to ask 'why' every time a medical professional tells me something in this pregnancy. Its surprising the number of times you get the response 'its the guidelines' but they don't really know, and then go away and ask someone else. Easier said then done on the spot though...

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I will be asking my endo, it was just unfortunate that I had this advice by my obstetrician, after i had already seen my endo that day. But I just wondered if anyone had any experiences. I’m worried about going low the night before the c section and having to drink/eat and then they won’t be able to do the operation in the morning. However, i know how important it is to have the tightest control just before baby is born and don’t want to go high either