Insulin requirements in early pregnancy

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My friend and I have been talking about this a bit lately and she is sure she is pregnant but too early to test.

On an average day her bsl are very tightly controlled, the last few days her sugars have been quite high, between 11 -14.

She says this means she is pregnant as no amount of insulin is making a difference.

Just curious as to what everyone here thinks?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got high sugars very early in pregnancy, but I knew I was pregnant (I tested).

So my opinion is that yes, she may be pregnant, but it could be some other thing causing the higher sugars, so it would be wise to rule those things out and do a pregnancy test to get a true answer. If it's not pregnancy, it could be 'off' insulin, stress, poor absorption, etc etc

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats what I said but according to her, she changed both cartriges of insulin (Levemir & NovoRapid) and it still made no difference.

I have also told her to go GP and at least get a proper opinion but as her peruod isnt due until late next week she says its pointless as she knows her body.

I will never understand some of my friends lol. Thanks for replying @azure

Reactions: azure

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
My sugars were high too very early on at like 4ish weeks. I knew though as I had a blood test after IVF so there was no doubt. I guess only thing to actually find out for your friend is to take a test when she can. Otherwise it could in fact be anything and everything causing high sugars.

Reactions: MH2010

Pinkspireites

Type of diabetes
Type 1
With both of my pregnancies, I struggled to keep my BGs above hypo during first few weeks. Due to hormones, anything can happen during first trimester.

Reactions: MH2010