Insulin Resistance and weight gain

What has happened to you happens to lots of non-diabetics too. It seems hormones have a lot to do with it. Doing a keto diet is certainly worth a try. I simply removed all carbohydrate from my meals. If you do this, be sure to adjust insulin dosages accordingly. Basal may also have to come down as the body uses more fat for energy.

For breakfast I have an egg dish made in the microwave - 3 eggs and 50 grams of cheese, to which I add some combination of mushroom, onion, broccoli and cauliflower. Only the onion has some carb in it. For lunch I have a chicken, tuna or salmon salad, at this time of year with avocado. Also add some combination of capsicum, tomato, cucumber and riced broccoli/cauliflower. For supper I have a portion of frozen protein food, done in the slow cooker and stored in portion sized containers, together with cooked vegetables.

For me the biggest challenge is avoiding use of carbo to treat low blood glucose. It can take a while for insulin doses to be adjusted suitably and unexpected exercise, stress or eating out messes up the process. Eating carbohydrate stops ketosis, which is required for fat to be used for energy. This may stall weight loss, but don't let it get you down. Also be aware that it can take months of being in ketosis to become fully fat adapted. Retraining the metabolism is not an easy process.
This is great advice thank you. So it looks like I need to increase some fat into each meal? I’ve done dafne so am comfortable with playing around with doses of insulin. I think we weigh the same ? I’m 72kg... so I can copy your meals? What do you do when you exercise? Say it’s 6 before you workout... you’ll need to take something to increase it to 9-11mmols? Otherwise hypo. Did you want the programme on Channel 4 called “lose a stone in 21 days”? They also did the keto diet and but non diabetics and the doctor told them they’d go into ketoacidosis within 3 days. Lucky them! They don’t have hypos and varying sugar level to contend with. I think the keto diet is what will work for me as I’ve previously lost 4kg in 3 months few years back eating salads for each meal. I was trying to be healthy past 4 weeks but no positive changes.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... So it looks like I need to increase some fat into each meal? I’ve done dafne so am comfortable with playing around with doses of insulin. I think we weigh the same ? I’m 72kg... so I can copy your meals? What do you do when you exercise? Say it’s 6 before you workout... you’ll need to take something to increase it to 9-11mmols? Otherwise hypo. Did you want the programme on Channel 4 called “lose a stone in 21 days”? ...
Yes, getting most of your calories from fat and as little as possible from carb is the way to go. It requires a complete change in attitude to fat. You need about 1gram/Kg of lean body weight of protein each day. Yes we are similar weights, but we have very different metabolisms. Being male and not having had kids means I don't have the same hormonal issues. I also have to ensure that I get enough calories so I don't lose weight.

You are probably more like my wife , who is not diabetic and struggles with weight. We are separated but in regular contact. She has had limited weight loss with a ketogenic diet, but she feels much better for it. She doesn't count calories and I suspect she cheats a lot. Highlights the fact that success with weight loss requires strict compliance. I also suspect she has T2 pre-diabetes and has insulin resistance, but she won't get tested.

I find that exercise does not reduce my blood glucose much, so I don't eat before it anymore. I test afterwards and have a biscuit with coffee if necessary. My blood glucose is a lot more stable than it used to be. Cutting carb is no doubt a major factor. Reduced stress and age are probably contributing factors too. Negotiating the blood glucose control maze is unfortunately an individual journey and your experience will be quite different to mine. It is a case of trying different things, doing more of what works and less of what doesn't work.

I think most people who give ketogenic eating a chance get good results from it. Lots of people on this board use it. If you have questions just ask.