Insulin Resistance is not the culprit. overeating is.

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I discussed in previous posts that when in the feed state, which I called storage mode, the body wants to store excess food as fat, so it resorts, intentionally, to induce IR to the muscles ' s cells as a tool to elevate insulin levels to support fat storage and maintenance of that fat.
In this order of events, insulin resistance is a result not a cause of fat storage process. When a person overeats above his caloric needs IR would work in the direction of storage, but upon changing course and under eating, fat will be lost,
and IR would lessen slightly. Should weight loss continues, fat loss and IR diminishing continue to untangle each other in a regression cycle that reverses the complications imparted during the feed state.
In this perception. IR has no role in supporting or inhibiting fat storage on its own merit.

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not how many calories you consume, it's what they are from. It's the carbs that cause the problem and the advice to eat wholemeal grains. My weight stays the same at around 1250 cals a day (low carb). When I did a fat fast and increased calories to around 2300 a day for 5 days I lost weight ( 6 pounds). The low fat high carb diets that many of us were told to follow have helped to cause our obesity.

What you have said makes sense, but in the real world many of us, particularly women have other hormonal problems thrown into the mix. The reality is much more complicated.

Then there's the effect of leptin resistance which can cause over eating because the person feels so hungry all the time.

Reactions: 7 people

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not how many calories you consume, it's what they are from. It's the carbs that cause the problem and the advice to eat wholemeal grains. My weight stays the same at around 1250 cals a day (low carb). When I did a fat fast and increased calories to around 2300 a day for 5 days I lost weight ( 6 pounds). The low fat high carb diets that many of us were told to follow have helped to cause our obesity.

What you have said makes sense, but in the real world many of us, particularly women have other hormonal problems thrown into the mix. The reality is much more complicated.

Then there's the effect of leptin resistance which can cause over eating because the person feels so hungry all the time.

You are absolutely correct. The type of food one eats may increase or decrease hunger and consequently control weight in either direction.
My point was to say that Weight loss, by any preferred method, will eventually lead to "untangle" the acquired mess. Any means of a calorie deficit will lead to the same end result.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So following this logically, are you saying that while I'm having 2300 calories a day on a fat fast I am in calorie deficit? I am a 57 year old seriously obese women with a sedentary lifestyle who has tried to lose weight for many years.

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So following this logically, are you saying that while I'm having 2300 calories a day on a fat fast I am in calorie deficit? I am a 57 year old seriously obese women with a sedentary lifestyle who has tried to lose weight for many years.

From a technical point of view. When you lose weight you must be in an energy deficit. You may confirm that by using available calculators in the Web that calculate your calories requirements.
Please note that I agree with you on the LCHF diet better ability to suppress appetite.

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not arguing with you, I am findng the conversation interesting. For myself though I now look at carb grams, not calories at all. I don't believe all calories are equal, particularly when someone's metabolism has gone wrong in some way.

Here's why....

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/my-5-day-dairy-fat-fast.81433/

My pleasure to have this dialogue with you.
By going low carbs, you automatically and unintentionally put yourself in a calorie deficit. Because you start burning the stored fat.
Remember. When you low carb you don't lose fat because you're eating less. You're eating less because you're losing weight.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I need to go very low carb (below 30g daily) to lose any weight at all. I don't tend to put it back on again now though (maybe just the odd 3 pound fluctuation) . It's a relief not to be yo-yo dieting anymore and not being so hungry feels good.

Reactions: 4 people

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I need to go very low carb (below 30g daily) to lose any weight at all. I don't tend to put it back on again now though (maybe just the odd 3 pound fluctuation) . It's a relief not to be yo-yo dieting anymore and not being so hungry feels good.

I am very happy for you.
It will become even easier
as you lose more weight.
Keep up the spirit

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Unfortunately that doesn't apply to a lot of people. I have eaten less than 900 calories a day and reduced carbs to less than 20 grams a day and still haven't lost weight. Increased exercise to half an hour of kettle bell daily as well as half an hour of cardio.
I still haven't lost weight. Can you imagine when I read comments like this how frustrating it is!!! If it was that easy particularly for women none of us would be diabetic. Especially for women of a certain age, hormones play a huge part in our lives.

*edited by a moderator to remove a word*

Last edited by a moderator:

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately that doesn't apply to a lot of people. I have eaten less than 900 calories a day and reduced carbs to less than 20 grams a day and still haven't lost weight. Increased exercise to half an hour of kettle bell daily as well as half an hour of cardio.
I still haven't lost weight. Can you imagine when I read comments like this how frustrating it is!!! If it was that easy particularly for women none of us would be diabetic. Especially for women of a certain age, hormones play a huge part in our lives.

When you cut your calories intake and still not lose weight, then you are not counting calories correctly.
Many people tend to under count their calories and eat more than they think.
The fact that you must lose weight when you under eat is a solid scientific law that is undebatable as the law of Gravity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
The overeating bit is a little simplistic. One size (no pun) does not fit all.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you cut your calories intake and still not lose weight, then you are not counting calories correctly.
Many people tend to under count their calories and eat more than they think.
The fact that you must lose weight when you under eat is a solid scientific law that is undebatable as the law of Gravity.
That's simply not true! I used to weigh all my food and then found out that my kitchen scales were weighing them as heavier then they were. So I was in fact getting less calories than I thought not more. Both @dawnmc and myself have really struggled with our weight.

I don't believe any woman would be fat if what you say is true. We all want to look good, if it were simply a case of eating less we would.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really think we need to separate men's weight loss with how it works for women. Not the same at all.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Yep

You just have to find the point where you are in a calorific deficit, I don't think anyone would ague that if you were stranded on a desert island with no food you would lose weigh rather quickly....

Yes lots of things make a difference , but just a difference , calories in/out is the bottom line ..........

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's simply not true! I used to weigh all my food and then found out that my kitchen scales were weighing them as heavier then they were. So I was in fact getting less calories than I thought not more. Both @dawnmc and myself have really struggled with our weight.

I don't believe any woman would be fat if what you say is true. We all want to look good, if it were simply a case of eating less we would.

Please consult with a dietitian. And consider this conversation as an opportunity to examine your ditery information.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep

You just have to find the point where you are in a calorific deficit, I don't think anyone would ague that if you were stranded on a desert island with no food you would lose weigh rather quickly....

Yes lots of things make a difference , but just a difference , calories in/out is the bottom line ..........
No it's not always!!!! It's really not. Why did I lose more weight on 2300 calories than 600 then?

waleed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you mean examine my dietary information?

Dear.
I am trying to be supportive and helpful as much as I can. But you are arguing against a solid scientific law in thermodynamics. This is why I am asking you ,for your own sake, to revise your ditery info. Something is wrong either in your scale or your calorie content evaluation of some food types.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
For goodness sakes Waleed, I don't want to be rude, but basically you are calling us liars. Please go do some research on why women don't lose weight like men. And there is no one size fits all. Like I said if it were that easy none of us would be diabetic. I'm 2 stone overweight and it isn't as easy as cutting calories

*edited by a moderator for rudeness towards another poster*

Reactions: 10 people