Insulin resistance, PCOS, preventing progression to T2

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Doctors dont like insulin tests because of the wide variation in norma test results, this means they can't fit you into the appropriate pigeon hole diagnosis.

There is a thing called HOMA-IR which gives an index between fasting insulin and glucose. You will probably have to self fund for this test and hunt out a lab that can do it.

Remember you can have normal HbA1c and fasting glucose with insulin resistance, so just low carbing may not break your IR.
You can infer IR from regular blood tests as IR pushes up Sodium, uric acid and blood pressure. Though many things also effect these numbers so not totally reliable.

This suject is also new to me but recent Fat Emperor podcast 41 covers this topic nicely.

Or, you just get your C-peptide tested! As part of a normal normal blood test. No self-funding necessary. No fancy tests necessary.

(The poster already has the diagnosis of PCOS.)

I have had IR to varying degrees for decades, and I have normal healthy blood pressure, because I have also been fairly physically active my whole life. So BP levels will not alert me, at least, to high unhealthy insulin levels. Guess what does? Yes! My C-peptide level (which reflects your own body's insulin production and levels.)

Tell your GP/Medical Centre why you are requesting it. If they ask you why - you can say because you have PCOS, and PSOC is an insulin resistance-based disease, and your goal is to keep your insulin levels as close to normal, or normal as you can, in order to keep your body as healthy as can be.

The best way to do that is indeed with lowering your sugar and carbs (it is not 'just'!), and, with physical activity.

Reactions: clare1_2_3

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I suppose you can just get c peptide test, though the half life of c- peptide is greater than insulin so possible to have false highs in 8 hr fasting test. For some people c-peptide would not be as precise as a fasting blood insulin.

clare1_2_3

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks so much and I appreciate the concerned aunty approach

I somehow missed these extra responses until now.

I am physically active- and have just signed up for a half marathon next March so will be stepping it up too haha. I run, swim and pilates. Occasional horse riding. Until last year I had a horse with all the associated physical activity associated with looking after him, and looking back I wonder if that level if physical activity was keeping my PCOS symptoms at bay (as well as being on the pill).

I am moving towards low carbing my diet. Baby steps, but getting there. Had a weekend at my sisters and too many carbs and ultimately felt awful and sluggish so that has shown me what I am doing is working.

I'm not sure how low to go for prevention of this whole situation getting worse, in terms of carbs per day?
Ps, I re-read today your postings above @clare1_2_3 , and I'm sorry to be telling you in above that of course you have to keep an eye on the sugar and carb levels of the food you eat and what you drink, in your life. But I believe that you absolutely do.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm pleased you didn't mind the aunty approach @clare1_2_3 :).

I am not surprised to read how athletic you are! Well done. How I put it is, for the best health, we need to move as much as our physique/body type allows, and if you have the musculature - get that glucose into the muscles as much as you can. It's all good for cardiovascular health, and a range of other health reasons.

As for taking in the glucose by mouth - and how much of the carbs you can afford to eat and drink (bearing in mind it is in relation to fatty food, as in raising your healthy fat up as your carbs wind down, is my understanding of successful LCHF) - let your body again, be the determiner. I use the rolls or not rolls of body fat around my gut to tell me it is time to IF or lower my carb intake. And I am grateful for this stage of my life to understand that.

And also what you actually want to do in the kitchen!. It is so personal - what you eat and drink and your likes and dislikes. What role food and drink (and physical activity) have in your life. Not to mention food buying and cooking!

For me to be the LC that I am - I need to be in control of my food ingredients as much as possible, which has meant, since I got the ol' dia-be-tes, I spend a lot more time in the kitchen than I would ever have wanted. I have come to terms with it.

My own range is between 20 and 50 g of carbs a day. But all I need to do is look at a slice of bread, is what I say, and my BG shoots up. Because of the longterm insulin resistance - decades after all.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not sure how low to go for prevention of this whole situation getting worse, in terms of carbs per day?
Perhaps buy a cheap meter and tub of 50 strips and test your bg fasting on waking, then before and after meals or snacks. You could find out a lot in a day or two. People vary hugely as to how many grammes of carb they can handle. You might be pleasantly surprised. Or you might like to do a DIY glucose tolerance test as described by Jenny Ruhl:
https://www.bloodsugar101.com/am-i-diabetic
The cheapest meters, used by myself and many here, are the TEE2 (£9.99, 50 strips £7.75) and the Codefree (£12.89, 50 strips £7.69). Each comes with all you need including 10 strips, so you could manage initially without buying any extra strips. Good luck!