1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Insulin resistance

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Starstruck111, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Starstruck111

Starstruck111 Type 1 · Active Member

After some advice please. I was diagnosed T1 app 2 yrs ago. First few months were hell and then things settled down, using 9 units of tresiba background insulin and 1 unit per 10g of carbs novarapid with meals. This seemed to work fab however recently my fasting sugars have been between 7 and 10 (I know not particularly high) however my sugars are not coming down. For example today I had a large lunch, took the appropriate amount of insulin and 5 hrs later my sugars are at 14 and rising. 2 correction units and 1 hr later still rising at 16. I have increased my background to 13 units and this seems to have brought my fasting sugars down to a more stable level but as soon as I’ve eaten my first meal or the day I’m struggling to be back in target until 5am…….. anything I can do other than not eat carbs. I am 36 yrs old, otherwise healthy. Approximately 9 stone. TIA

2. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If you have done a basal test so confident that your background insulin dose is correct, you probably need to change your insulin to carb ratio.
    Bear in mind it is not uncommon to be more insulin resistant at the start of the day so you may need a different insulin to carb ratio for breakfast.
    Our insulin needs often change and you may be coming to the end of your honeymoon period … or more cells are dying off so you are not producing as much insulin yourself.
    I found I had to gradually increase my insulin dose for about 8 years until my pancreas completely gave up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. derivadow

derivadow Type 1 · Active Member

A couple of other things to consider:
    - you might need to look at your insulin correction factor (i.e. how much does 1 unit lower your BG by)
    - if you are eating a meal with high fat and/or protein then you also need to factor that in (I add between 10-20% to my bolus if >40g of fat/protein), a split dose might also help.
    - you might be more resistant to insulin when you're BG is high (I know I am)

But I think I would be start by checking my basal rate...

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook