Type 1 Insulin resistance

Starstruck111

Type of diabetes
Type 1
After some advice please. I was diagnosed T1 app 2 yrs ago. First few months were hell and then things settled down, using 9 units of tresiba background insulin and 1 unit per 10g of carbs novarapid with meals. This seemed to work fab however recently my fasting sugars have been between 7 and 10 (I know not particularly high) however my sugars are not coming down. For example today I had a large lunch, took the appropriate amount of insulin and 5 hrs later my sugars are at 14 and rising. 2 correction units and 1 hr later still rising at 16. I have increased my background to 13 units and this seems to have brought my fasting sugars down to a more stable level but as soon as I’ve eaten my first meal or the day I’m struggling to be back in target until 5am…….. anything I can do other than not eat carbs. I am 36 yrs old, otherwise healthy. Approximately 9 stone. TIA

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have done a basal test so confident that your background insulin dose is correct, you probably need to change your insulin to carb ratio.
Bear in mind it is not uncommon to be more insulin resistant at the start of the day so you may need a different insulin to carb ratio for breakfast.
Our insulin needs often change and you may be coming to the end of your honeymoon period … or more cells are dying off so you are not producing as much insulin yourself.
I found I had to gradually increase my insulin dose for about 8 years until my pancreas completely gave up.

derivadow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A couple of other things to consider:
- you might need to look at your insulin correction factor (i.e. how much does 1 unit lower your BG by)
- if you are eating a meal with high fat and/or protein then you also need to factor that in (I add between 10-20% to my bolus if >40g of fat/protein), a split dose might also help.
- you might be more resistant to insulin when you're BG is high (I know I am)

But I think I would be start by checking my basal rate...