Insulin resistance

Andrew2018

Type one of over 35 years, with known insulin resistance and on 1g metformin twice daily, and have been for years. I have been switched from one insulin to another over the years and have been on Novorapid and Levermir for over 10 years. I am now finding that insulin uptake is yielding poor results. Carb counting as I do, the ratio has gone from a uniform 1.5 units to 10 cho at each meal to now needing 4 : 10 at breakfast, 3 : 10 at lunch and 1.5 : 10 in the evening, not to mention having to go in for corrective doses of Novorapid if things spike, the Levermir is now at 26 units twice daily. This seems to be on a steady change, and I'd be interested to hear from anyone in the same situation. To some limited degree injection site does affect things, but even that is unpredictable. Get the feeling it's a downward spiral like the rest of my health.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Andrew2018 my ratios are similar than yours though I am sure I needed less insulin a few decades ago. But I'm using 9 units of lantus twice daily. I find I use less insulin when I take more exercise and/or reduce weight.

I am fairly low carb (less than 100g a day) and at those carbs exercise is the biggest factor for me. (Mornibg I need a correction dose for the dawn phenomena even if I don't eat).