Insulin storage

ruby

I am not new to type 2 diabetes but I am new to using insulin injections. I would like to know if my domestic refrigerator temperature is a stable and suitable place to store my insulin,
Lantus SoloStat.. My domestic refrigerator is a combine fridge-freezer so fridge temperature fluctuates. Having bought a Cooler only to discover that it is unsuitable as functions by ambient temperature (20 degrees below it). Would like to know how others manage.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
For better injection comfort and insulin efficiency, it is advisable to take the insulin out of the refrigerator a minimum of one hour prior to injection: cold insulin increases the pain of the injection and slows down the insulin absorption.
Any insulin vials or cartridges which are not open should be stored in the refrigerator between 2o and 8oC. Any open insulin vial or cartridge can be safely stored at room temperature for up to one month (please refer to insulin manufacturer's recommendations).

Never use insulin after the expiry date and avoid exposure to extreme temperatures.
Taken from:
http://www.bddiabetes.co.uk

Knowledge is the key to control

Lady J

And NEVER store your pen/spare pen in the fridge - this can mess with the mechanism and break it/stop it from working properly.

Spares in the fridge (not in the door as it isn't cool enough, and not at the back because that's too cold) but your current cartridge (the one that's in your pen) can stay anywhere (handbag, kitchen counter, bedroom etc etc etc).

LJ

sofaraway

Not in the door? oh I've never heard that and thats where I always store mine (expect for the pens in use). Hmmm will have to think about rearranging my fridge

Lady J

apparently, it's not as cool in there. it might be fine, but it might not! if you've never had any problems, there's no need to panic now, but i was definitely told that (think it just gets warmer when the fridge is open and shut than the actual body of the fridge, if you see what i mean).

LJ

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
That makes sense,especially if you are in the habit of 'just' leaving the door open while you pour milk into cup/cereal etc!

Knowledge is the key to control

Lady J

and of course anything you eat with the fridge door open has no calories in it, so i tend to do that a lot.

;)

LJ

cherala

How often should an unopened refrigerator come on, and for how long should it run? inside refrigerator is at about 40 degress and freezer is at about 10 degress not zero does it need work?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
cherala said:
How often should an unopened refrigerator come on, and for how long should it run? inside refrigerator is at about 40 degress and freezer is at about 10 degress not zero does it need work?

Hi.

I suggest that you get yourself an Engineer to look at your fridge/freezer. This is a Diabetic forum.

jopar

There is no problems with keeping insulin in a domestic fridge, even in the door which I have done for the past 21 years, and hubby has done for 30 years... verious fridges along the way..

It is also prefectly fine to keep the insulin out of the fridge as well, although it's recommended that you only do this for a month, so generally will be the cartridge that is fitted to the pens that are in use...

I keep my vial that it in use sat on top of the fridge so it's room tempreture when I fill up my insulin pump cartridge as it helps to prevent air bubbles...

Extreme low tempreture which is around freezing point and extreme high tempreture that we don't tend to get in this country can cause problems...

So keeping your insulin in the glovebox of your car isn't a good idea, or leaving the pen and/or insulin on the window sill facing the sun isn't either...

A indictor that something is amiss, if you see crystals in the insulin or it looks lumpy or off colour to its norm then don't use it.. If for some reasons it doesn't seem to be efficent controlling your Blood glucose as it normaly does, and there isn't another reasonable explination that all of a sudden your bg's have shot up.. Replace the cartridge with a new one..

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're worried about temperature in your fridge, then keep a fridge thermometer next to your insulin. Generally the door isn't cool enough, because it's open frequently. The bottom is generally coolest, and coldest of all at back of salad trays / drawers - but unless there's ice visible, it's OK.