Insulin temperature?

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
Not your insulin supply which should be kept cool until brought into use but the insulin you are using at the moment.

Is it better for the insulin to be kept at a relatively stable but warm temperature or to re-cool it between uses? For instance, I'll take my Novorapid out with me so it'll warm up as it'll be kept in a shirt or trouser pocket. When I get home should I put it in the fridge to cool, or leave it out to limit the temperature variation?

Dazza1984

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not your insulin supply which should be kept cool until brought into use but the insulin you are using at the moment.

Is it better for the insulin to be kept at a relatively stable but warm temperature or to re-cool it between uses? For instance, I'll take my Novorapid out with me so it'll warm up as it'll be kept in a shirt or trouser pocket. When I get home should I put it in the fridge to cool, or leave it out to limit the temperature variation?

Once removed from the fridge it is best kept at room temp (or at least below 30c). If you are to take it out with you then consider Frio products (http://www.friouk.com/)
as they will keep it quite cool. This obv depends on the temp of the environment you have it in. So in ur trouser pocket on a very warm day it prob isn't best. However, in a Frio wallet inside a coat pocket would be good. Although, keep in mind that the Frio wallets need a good 'air supply' for them to work.

Best thing to do is read ur info insert in your insulin and your pen.
D

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just come back from 6 days in Algeria.

My "emergency" supply was unused but un-refrigerated, temperatures >45C at times. That wil be binned

My spare stuff was refrigerated and will be used to replace my in use cartridges which were partially refrigerated depending on activities each day. These are due for replacement in 7 days anyway so not much lost.

General rule is if kept at <30C it can be kept unrefrigerated for up to 28 days - a DSN told me that the activity has been shown not to decline over that period