1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Insulin therapy....what's it like?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by manolakis81, Feb 4, 2009.

1. manolakis81

manolakis81 · Newbie

I am a 4th year medical student doing a research project on diabetics and their experiences on starting insulin and the difficulties they came across using it and how they over came it. If anyone out there can share their story with me...it would give me a great insight into the issue surrounding this treatment option.
    Please help me out.
    Thanks
    Prita

2. seabill

seabill · Active Member

Hi Prita

Congratulations on your choice of research.

I was diagnosed on 04/07/08 at the age of 46.

Mind you the Doctor in the local A & E said I was Type 2
    DSN said I was Type 1.
    As I was lying on a hospital bed and dealing with a Doctor for the first time in
    30 years.............

DSN actually came to my house begging me to return to hospital and go straight on insulin.

If you want the full story, please reply.

Seabill

3. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

hya ,
    im willing to help, what exactly do u need to know??

4. Katharine

Katharine · Well-Known Member

5. Steg

Steg · Newbie

Hi, I have been Type 1 diabetuic for 38 years and can still remember the fear when at 9 years old, I was bluntly told by a Doctor that I would need lots of injections.
    I had a very good liaison sister who sat with me and taught me how to inject in to an orange, then I got to eat it.We then moved on to my legs and then my arms. It was many years before I had the courage to inject in to my stomach or bum/hip. I inject 4 times a day with a novo-pen. I would rcomend this method to any new diabetic and would stress the importance of following the rules. I still enjoy sailing, I have travelled abroad and followed a pretty normal life with just a few restrictions.
    Hope this helps.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook