Insulin to carbs or carbs to insulin

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I match my insulin to the carbs I eat and since eating keto since Jan 2018 maybe just 2 or 3 units and sometimes none. I eat less than 19g carbs a day, have about 71g protein and up to 120g healthy fat. This ratio seems to suit me.
I did alot of research before I went so low carb and took magnesium and multivitamin supplements plus a cocktail of salts to combat keto flu and that worked for me. I have lost 50lb my hbA1c is 5.8 and I feel fantastic. The biggest woohoo moment for me was going back to the gym after 18mths and going on the bodytrax machine and finding my metabolic age had gone from 62 to 40! I'm 52!! So that was fab. I have recently been set up with a Libre Freestyle sensor by my diabetic team and find my readings consistantly in the 5-6 range so I'm happy with that.

Gosh - That's seismic. Fab result

Reactions: jillsymes66

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't you get test strips in Canada as a T1? Stupid.

Non diabetics have insulin, it's just that their own body produces it. Very different from most other medicins in my opinion.
Every province is different. They'll be covered when I hit 65 (something else to look forward to!).
The thing about the insulin is that it's not human insulin and is not something my body made. But as I end up concluding, the food I consume is filled with toxic stuff so just do it and don't worry.

Reactions: Antje77

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@JAT1 there are lots of lower carb recipes to try for bread. Experimenting with these may help you keep your bread making hobby and meet a dietary need? Good luck.
When I was making my own bread, I used to eat a loaf a day, it was that good. I've never been overweight. If I make bread again, I will have to exercise much greater self-control and my gut rules.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@JAT1 obviously you are on a routine for insulin devised between yourself and your health professional and that is for you to decide. However, you are fearful of taking too much insulin and want to have lower carbs. By taking a fixed amount at each meal you are then having to eat that amount of carbs. Which to me seems the wrong way round. If I’m not hungry later in the day I take no insulin and eat no carbs. Other days I eat a lot more and therefore take more insulin. It results in a more relaxed life. Maybe discuss carb counting with your health professional.
I have an appointment in a couple weeks and I will definately ask, if I can catch her before she's out the door. My appointments usually last 5 minutes, she's the one talking and if my answer is more than 2 words, I'm interrupted and then boom, she's gone.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you ALL for your posts on this thread. You have given me alot to consider and I appreciate it.

cassie091

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 60 years ago but haven't got any medals!! In those days it was one injection a day and a strict diet. Not easy when you are 16 and at school. But the consultant warned me what could happen of I did not stick to it and hence I have. As far as I am concerned it is a normal and acceptable diet. It contains carbs, green veg, proteins etc but I will not eat anything containing sugar unless I am hypo. So far it has paid off and I have not had any diabetic complications. Why is it normal to eat cakes and ice-cream? As far as I am concerned it isn't. They should be a very rare treat, not that I could stomach them. I have lost my taste for sweet things.
I believe I am in relative good health and only attend the GP's surgery if I have something I cannot deal with myself and that is rare. As far as I am concerned my restricted diet has paid off.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 60 years ago but haven't got any medals!!
Yes you did. Here it is!
upload_2019-2-1_21-3-16.jpeg