Type 1 Insulin

fantastic9888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. Does insulin go into bloodstream faster than glucose from food does. I usually inject these days about 10-15 mins after evening meal as I worry that sugars will continue to drop as I'm eating as I believe it takes 20 mins for glucose to enter bloodstream. Any advice welcome. I did get a hypo a few times whilst eating as I had injected before meal..

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Some insulins are much faster than others. I use humalog and I can safely pre-inject with that. Fiasp is much, much faster and I have no personal experience of it, so will leave comments about using it to others such as @MeiChanski

Reactions: Marie 2

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the tag @WuTwo
Hello, @fantastic9888, It depends on which fast acting bolus you have. Some of the things I look out for is carbs - some break down faster than others, timing of insulin - novorapid takes a while - 20 mins or so, whereas fiasp for me is anywhere between 10-15 mins and depending on your BG, if it's on the higher end, I'll wait but if it is lower end of normal - 4.5-5mmol/l, I won't wait, so I take it as food touches my mouth.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you use novorapid as I do it is running in the background for 2-3 hours after you take it after a meal and your long acting insulin is still in your system and that is giving you the cover as you are eating as it's long acting and that is working the same as short acting just you are giving iut a boost when you take your short acting and when you take your long acting insulin at night it's there until the next night as it is a 12 hour or 24 hour insulin but my long acting insulin is broken down into 2 injections a day so I get a 24 hour cover of long acting insulin and I also take the novorapid in 3 injections so in the morning I have 2 times the insulin but I have to watch as my sugars some times go down and I have to use glucose gel and that is the only way to help you with your question but it is in your body for about 2-3 hours after a meal and that is to counter act the sugar that you may eat and drink and if you eat rabbit food e.g. lettuce salad you only need a small amount of insulin as found that out before but I was in hospital where I had the hypo and I was given the glucon injection as I was out cold so I am going to pass you that bit of advice

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I take low doses of insulin and eat 12 grams of carbs in a meal so I'm not sure how useful my personal experience of Fiasp will be (my guess is not very helpful.) Anyhow, I use Fiasp and wait for my blood sugars to drop 0.3 mmol/l before eating. I split the dose so don't start with any more than 3.5 units. It can take 20 to 40 minutes for the Fiasp to begin to work. I start eating the carbohydrate part of the meal and haven't had it drop more than 0.5 mmol/l before my blood sugars start to rise again. When my blood sugars rise 0.5 mmol/l above my starting point, I take the remaining unit.

Last edited: