Insulin

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know anymore. I'm 24 I'm running out of options, even with Insulin I'm not improving I have started to hate food more than ever. Anything I eat seems to spike my blood sugars. // with what's going on I'm not sure what else to do anymore. ^ all I seem to be given is medication and told to write down my numbers. And 3 months after I'm still there in the highs, increasing my medication and still no improvement, I'm going to start fasting soon. I hope maybe that will improve my readings.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm running out of options, even with Insulin I'm not improving
The amount of insulin needed is highly personal and it can take some time finding the right dose. How long have you been on insulin and what insulin(s) do you use?

What were the results from your C-peptide test? Are you definitely a T2 or is it still unsure?

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The amount of insulin needed is highly personal and it can take some time finding the right dose. How long have you been on insulin and what insulin(s) do you use?

What were the results from your C-peptide test? Are you definitely a T2 or is it still unsure?

C-peptide test not back yet, I'm on novorapid flextouch. 2nd week on insulin, still high levels throughout the day

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
C-peptide test not back yet, I'm on novorapid flextouch. 2nd week on insulin, still high levels throughout the day
Ah, if it's only your second week you're more or less supposed to still see higher numbers!
Because the only way to find out how much insulin someone needs is trying, the only safe way to do it is to start with relatively low doses and titrate up.

Imagine having to eat your way out of a hypo from ten times the amount of insulin you needed!

For reference, some people need less than 10 units total over the day, others need a couple of hundred.

Have you been prescribed long acting or basal insulin as well as NovoRapid? It can be only the short acting is enough but many people need a basal insulin as well.

Are you staying in contact with your HCP to adjust your doses?
Good luck, and try to have some patience!

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, if it's only your second week you're more or less supposed to still see higher numbers!
Because the only way to find out how much insulin someone needs is trying, the only safe way to do it is to start with relatively low doses and titrate up.

Imagine having to eat your way out of a hypo from ten times the amount of insulin you needed!

For reference, some people need less than 10 units total over the day, others need a couple of hundred.

Have you been prescribed long acting or basal insulin as well as NovoRapid? It can be only the short acting is enough but many people need a basal insulin as well.

Are you staying in contact with your HCP to adjust your doses?
Good luck, and try to have some patience!

No, only been given the novorapid, I'm in contact via email and telephone with my diabetes nurse. Will get a call this week. //

Reactions: Antje77

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Are you on one insulin (mixed) or two insulins (Basal/Bolus)? You are very young to be a T2. Are you slim or overweight? It's possible you are not T2 but late onset T1. If so you should be on Basal/Bolus or move to that shortly to have enough BS control. Do discuss with the GP as all T1s should be on Basal/Bolus even if in the honeymoon period.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Are you on one insulin (mixed) or two insulins (Basal/Bolus)? You are very young to be a T2. Are you slim or overweight? It's possible you are not T2 but late onset T1. If so you should be on Basal/Bolus or move to that shortly to have enough BS control. Do discuss with the GP as all T1s should be on Basal/Bolus even if in the honeymoon period.
I'm on novorapid, I'm 5"6 @ 71kg, so I'm overweight, I'm.hoping to get some feedback from my c-peptide results soon

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @UsmanMo96 ,

Could you give us a breakdown on when you were diagnosed, the drugs prescribed leading to now?
Thanks in advance.. You also mentioned in earlier posts diagnosed with fatty liver?

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @UsmanMo96 ,

Could you give us a breakdown on when you were diagnosed, the drugs prescribed leading to now?
Thanks in advance.. You also mentioned in earlier posts diagnosed with fatty liver?

Diagnosed in 2014, medication history metformin sitagliptin and gliclazide. Now insulin, yes I have fatty liver

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed in 2014, medication history metformin sitagliptin and gliclazide. Now insulin, yes I have fatty liver

What was your BG managment & A1c like prior to the med change to insulin?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying some facts together regarding appropriate advice..

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What was your BG managment & A1c like prior to the med change to insulin?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying some facts together regarding appropriate advice..
My a1c has been terrible since 2018 most recent 1 being 59. Blood sugar control has been bad too. Ibr tried my best, fatty liver I dont know if they has anything to do with my blood sugar readings.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Screenshot_20200406-200648_LibreLink.jpg
Screenshot_20200406-200401_LibreLink.jpg
My readings for today. I'm probably going to start my farsting now, because of covid-19 I dont to put myself at a even higher risk with my levels like this.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @UsmanMo96 ,

I'm not sure what your diet is but you have been prescribed a fast acting insulin which works souly on your meals.
It can be used also to correct high BGs.
You should be taught to carb count & also find out what your insulin to carb ratios are.
Along with how much a unit of novorapid will lower your BG used as correction.

Ideally? This would be in conjunction with a long acting insulin keeping the background levels in check..

Untill you get the results back on your c-pep test, I surmise your health care professionals may need a little more data from your Libre scans? Are you sharing this data via Libre link with your nurse?
I would suggest logging what you eat along with what & when you inject in order to help your HCPs get a clearer picture to help you..

We can't diagnose or prescribe meds on the forum.
Though I hope this & other contributions point you in the right direction regarding working with your health care team & find a solution that's right for you..

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @UsmanMo96 ,

I'm not sure what your diet is but you have been prescribed a fast acting insulin which works souly on your meals.
It can be used also to correct high BGs.
You should be taught to carb count & also find out what your insulin to carb ratios are.
Along with how much a unit of novorapid will lower your BG used as correction.

Ideally? This would be in conjunction with a long acting insulin keeping the background levels in check..

Untill you get the results back on your c-pep test, I surmise your health care professionals may need a little more data from your Libre scans? Are you sharing this data via Libre link with your nurse?
I would suggest logging what you eat along with what & when you inject in order to help your HCPs get a clearer picture to help you..

We can't diagnose or prescribe meds on the forum.
Though I hope this & other contributions point you in the right direction regarding working with your health care team & find a solution that's right for you..
I am sharing my libre data with the diabetes team

Reactions: Antje77