Insulins and Lantus Side Affects

LIBrown55

Greetings!

I found this website while researching Lantus and joint pain. I suppose I have been on Lantus 15 units at night for about 6 months. For the last 2 months, I have been experiencing hip/joint pain in the socket. Doesn't help that I have arthritis in them but this is unusual. So I researched the subject and their is a link to joint pain and muscles. I also have fibromyalgia which doesn't help BUT, I have such a history of low tolerance to meds that I usually won't read the medication literature unless I am reperiencing strange physical effects. So, I gave three questions. Thank you in advance.

1. Is anyone or has anyone experienced this with Lantus, and if so what or did you remedy this?

2. If you were taken off Lantus, what insulin replacements were given?

3. Are there other insulin medications which cause joint and muscle pain?

Last edited:

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi librown55 if you look at my blog you're see I have had trouble with right hip pain plus general aches and pains funnily enough I'm on lantus was having 60units night time managed the get it down to 48units only thing is I have been on lantus for about 12yrs pain etc started 2yrs ago so don't know if linked I will ask doctor next month if you can find out anything in mean time please let me know it would be appreciated thanks.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Sorry forgot to say I'm also on Novo rapid insulin 46units 3 times daily bye for now.

Reactions: Freema
M

mist

So far I've had no side effects of my insulin, save for injecting too much and giving myself a hypo..lol

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Mist I bet there's a few people whose made that mistake myself for one lol

LIBrown55

Thanks for responding. I did find a thread on this subject on this website but can't find it now. I'm gonna try and find it again. In the mean time I'm curious to see if others are experiencing the same things.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Yes good idea if I see anything along those lines I will post it here good luck

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
1. Is anyone or has anyone experienced this with Lantus, and if so what or did you remedy this?

No not joint pain.

Several years ago I was suffering from fatigue, around the time (much like yourself) I'd read stories on the net that lantus could cause side-effects of this nature, so after some persuasion I asked my DSN if I could change to an alternative basal, switched to levemir but that was a disaster as I couldn't get the dosage right to hold my bg steady.

Eventually found out that my fatigue was more to do with my life-style so made some changes,went back on lantus and was still on it up until I changed to a pump with no further issues.

There's quite a few if you do a google search but one drug that gets a lot of mention is statins, although not everyone who is on a statin suffers side-effects. Maybe your joint pain could just be a symptom of your fibromyalgia or a drug that you take to treat the condition.

LIBrown55

No not joint pain.

Several years ago I was suffering from fatigue, around the time (much like yourself) I'd read stories on the net that lantus could cause side-effects of this nature, so after some persuasion I asked my DSN if I could change to an alternative basal, switched to levemir but that was a disaster as I couldn't get the dosage right to hold my bg steady.

Eventually found out that my fatigue was more to do with my life-style so made some changes,went back on lantus and was still on it up until I changed to a pump with no further issues.

There's quite a few if you do a google search but one drug that gets a lot of mention is statins, although not everyone who is on a statin suffers side-effects. Maybe your joint pain could just be a symptom of your fibromyalgia or a drug that you take to treat the condition.

I only take 2 medicines, Lantus and losartan 25 mg at night. The Diclofenac Pot 50 mg. i take in the morning only if the pain is too much. I tried to get myself moving which seems to help but some mornings it's unbearable. I know what the fibromyalgia feels like and it's not that, though the weather on top of this new hip pain is not fun.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nothing ventured nothing gained @LIBrown55 You could ask to change basal insulin's to see if it makes any difference to your joint pain if your sure it's unrelated to your fibromyalgia, given the choice if I were to return to multiple injections I'd ask to use one of the new basal insulin called Tresiba, there's a few type 1's on the forum who use this insulin and the feedback so far is very good.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Greetings!

I found this website while researching Lantus and joint pain. I suppose I have been on Lantus 15 units at night for about 6 months. For the last 2 months, I have been experiencing hip/joint pain in the socket. Doesn't help that I have arthritis in them but this is unusual. So I researched the subject and their is a link to joint pain and muscles. I also have fibromyalgia which doesn't help BUT, I have such a history of low tolerance to meds that I usually won't read the medication literature unless I am reperiencing strange physical effects. So, I gave three questions. Thank you in advance.

Hi, did you see the earlier thread re lantus - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/lantus-users-problems.2797/page-5, i do not know whether it covers your particular problems, as i have not read all of it, not sure if you have seen it? I have found it is good to try other insulins and see how you feel..i myself feel better on the Hypurin range, but everyone is different.......

Reactions: LIBrown55

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I took lisinopril and switched to losartan as it made me feel like death. Tired, moody, achy, it wiped the life out of me. Maybe switching losartan to another one with a different mechanism??