1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Insurance

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by masst1, Jun 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. masst1

masst1 · Newbie

so i have a t1 diabetes and it seems insurers still give me the same price as a normal person without t1 i did my research on this but i have been driving a new astra turbo on my mother in laws mobility for a while passed my test last November 2017 over 25 of course but i want go for my own car and i am still getting stupid prices even with the t1 included is it best to ring around and tell them ive drove this car fine for a while without issues give them the reference letter from the insurers from the motabilty and see how that goes or just go ahead with the comparison sites

2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've never had an issue with insurers and T1 (driving since 1979 in UK, Australia and now NZ). It seems that they rely on the driving license authority to determine whether you're safe to drive, and as long as you've got a license you're OK. (Having said that, I do mention it when I get a quote, but no one has yet cared. They just want to know that you haven't had your license taken away or restricted.)
    Your stupid quotes will be because you've not had a license for very long and don't have an insurance history. I know my nephew in the UK (under 25) could only afford insurance because he had a monitor attached to his car that told the insurers if he did anything "naughty". Try googling black box policy.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook