intense pain in foot and big toe

kendod666

OK only diagnosed on the 8th of this month.

Glucose levels are within 4-8 so fairly good already.

However since diagnosed pins and needles in my toe, foot have developed to some pretty intense pain.

Walking is very difficult. Pain is continuous. Trying paracetamol and ibuprofen.

However my understanding is this is caused by damage to my capillarys.

On admission to hospital my blood glucose was in excess of 30, and could have been for days.

Is this irreversible?

How can I combat this?

Are my kidneys next!?

Very concerned. Thanked for reading

Bulldogblu

I don't want to worry you but if it were me, I'd be straight up A&E immediately yo get the best medical treatment ASAP

You don't want to end up with a whole in your foot the nerve damage spreads extremely quickly and can lead to amputation

Get to a doc ASAP

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kendod666

What kind of treatment is there for this?

I thought bringing my levels to normal would stop the glucose damaging the capillary s any more.

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
hi. i agree with bulldogbiu if you in that much pain i would go to a &e.
i am type2 and had it over 2 yrs and already had a toe removed. if you do not go there gp tomorrow please dont just leave it.

kendod666

Well I have my foot check booked in for Friday. Just shocked I'm getting stuff like this already as I'm only diagnosed 3 weeks ago.

Things can only get worse from what I understand.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had various problems with my feet from medication but it got worse around the time I got diabetes. My BGs are under control and I have lost a lot of weight, but I still get them.

I find that stimulation to the feet is better than pain killers. Regular washing in warm water, using a brush and pumice stone. I also have one of these Revitive circulation booster. It does help, but it's expensive for what it is: http://www.revitive.com/products/?gclid ... tAodZHgAzg

There are some do's and don'ts on this page, http://www.wecare.ca/blog/?p=551

Basically, despite getting your BGs under control, you have to pamper your feet and look after them. A good site is:

http://www.cosyfeet.com/

Use your feet and toes, keep them warm and dry, clean them daily, add lotions and potions.

It may not be diabetes at all. My brother had the same symptoms as me for years. He had a GP who didn't believe in medication and eventually got another one who got a blood test done. He was prescribed vitamin B and vitamin b strong complex. The pains went almost immediately. He's due for more tests now but he is much more mobile and comfortable.

ernestsalsa

Do as said: go to the doctor immediately. Start taking vitamine B12 or a Vitamine B complex of good Quality. And ask the doctor to check your Vitamine B level asap. Good luck.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have changed your diet to get yuor BGs under control, have a look to see if you are getting enough vitamin B12. That's the one my brother needed. Have a look at this article:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/vita ... 1301105780

We often forget some nutrients when we start to change our diets, especially if the change is dramatic. Anyway, a small box of vitamin b12 is worth a try.

kendod666

Have taken for many years very good quality supplements containing all of the essential B vitamins. Including 1,2,3,6 and 12 all higher than standard RDA levels.

My diet has only changed in so much as huge reduction in carbs.

Hopefully can get some peace of mind on Friday.

Thank you for the links to foot care. Thanks for all your helpful responses.

Still feeling very lost with the whole thing.

Bulldogblu

Just remember that when your diagnosed with diabetes it's not the end of the world I and many people live a good life style whilst also controlling your diabetes your diabetic nurse will give you all the booklets and doos & donts

Go on the net and research diabetes and learn how to controll it and stay on top of it search diabetes UK Great info on their site

Good Luck

Good luck

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it's a bit strange to begin with but things soon settle down, quite quickly in fact. You've just got to remember that you must make some small changes but, believe me, they are not as hard as giving up smoking and, as the cliché goes, if I can do it, anyone can. I made Homer Simpson look like a fit and active young man.

B

badcat

i get occasional ( 2-3 times a year) extreme pain in my big toe joint(s) - cant wear shoes and anything like bedding touching the area at aii is very painful. Not sure its a diabetes thnig or an age thing ( my mother who's non diabetic gets it too and has been told its probably gout) - only thing I find touches the pain is a storng ant
i inflammatory like volterol - 2 doses of that does the trick every time

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
badcat said:
i get occasional ( 2-3 times a year) extreme pain in my big toe joint(s) - cant wear shoes and anything like bedding touching the area at aii is very painful. Not sure its a diabetes thnig or an age thing ( my mother who's non diabetic gets it too and has been told its probably gout) - only thing I find touches the pain is a storng ant
i inflammatory like volterol - 2 doses of that does the trick every time

That sounds like Gout to me, and it c rossed my mind that the OP's problem could be the same, and therefore not necessarily connected to the diabetes .

flashsusie

Hello what you are describing could be gout, as this is common in big toes. If your toe is red and shinny and hot to touch, it sounds like gout. You will need to seek medical advice from a GP or Nurse Practitioner who will give you tablets. This should improve in the next few days. I am aware that Diabetics can get very severe foot/toe problems but what you are describing sounds like a non diabetic complaint maybe. I am Type 2 and newly diagnosed and have experienced pins & needles and numbness on occasions especially when in bed at night. I worry about my feet, but with good care and good diet and keeping bm levels down I hope things wont get any worse.

Please seek GP advise ASAP and try not to panic! :D

kendod666

100% not red, or hot to the touch. No pain difference touching socks/clothes. Not shiny.

Can't see how this can be gout?

Started same day of hospital admittance with slight pins and needles. Slight occasional unusual feeling in tips of index fingers in last few days.

(No change of diet at all, just huge almost ten times safe amount of glucose, over 30 on hospital addmition)

Mcvicker35

Hi Kendod, you don't say if your type 1 or 2, your description of symptoms is very similar to mine, I have neuropathy in my lower limbs and amyoprathy in my thighs, my pain is managed with amitriptyline but I have had diabetes for years with poor control. Speak to your consultant or nurse and take the advice of others on this forum. One doctor told me your feet should be as clean as your face and make sure you look after them. T

kendod666

Hi, type 1, and I've brought my levels under control even within this very short time since diagnosis 3 weeks ago. So between 4-7 with not much increase even after meals.

I am totally aware this is highly unusual so early on in the disease. I guess I'm just that lucky :-/

However so is type 1 with no family history or previous Ill health.