Interesting little read for BG & SG readings!

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just came across a post on the Medtronic pump users Facebook page regarding differences between the SG & BG reading for pump users. Supposedly when doing a finger blood test, you should never need to squeeze the finger to draw blood. The prick should be deep enough so that the blood is easily drawn and put onto the lancet. The theory is squeezing the finger can give an increased BG reading? Interestingly a lot of people in the comments agree with the poster. Personally I always need to squeeze for a blood sample, i always have my device on a low setting to help my finger tips. Suppose it’s worth a try to see if I can increase accuracy between BG & SG.

Unfortunately the poster couldn’t find the link that he had read or I would of posted it, Does anyone else put this into practise?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sometimes I need to squeeze, other times I don't, if I increased the depth it'd hurt (and I already dont like it), so I just don't and accept that sometimes squeezing will be necessary.
I suspect its just I need different depths for each finger but chances of my remembering which finger needs what at any particular time is unlikely especially first thing in the morning.

Reactions: Maco

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now in nurse training I was told interstitial fluid squeezed into the blood drop would lower readings and if a finger hand to be squeezed to do it from the palm end and milk it up to the tip, beforehand if it’s a regular issue. Warm hands help a lot too.

Reactions: Maco

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Now in nurse training I was told interstitial fluid squeezed into the blood drop would lower readings and if a finger hand to be squeezed to do it from the palm end and milk it up to the tip, beforehand if it’s a regular issue. Warm hands help a lot too.

My mam was a nurse & when I was first diagnosed as a kid she use to do exactly the same for me. Squeeze up from the palm before the prick then when you did actual prick blood was easily come out.

Reactions: HSSS