Interesting low carb pasta replacement

Breck Lundin

Had an interesting dinner. Found zucchini "noodles" with parmesan & garlic. I get tired of using cabbage to sub for pasta/rice noodles.

Did a "hunter's." dinner
...hunted around the fridge for things to toss in the skillet. A bit of rhubarb chopped, diced up deli ham (our stuff here is, ummmm, not very good), liberal amounts of garlic, dried parsley and that's pretty much it...it was very tasty. Refreshing switch.

About 15g carbs total for the meal. And there was a 12" dinner plate full.

Oh, i did sauté it up with a bit if butter to help the rhubarb out as i had no bacon to add.

The brand if the zucchini noodles escapes me but i doubt that translates.

I'm satisfied and don't have those post dinner carb cravings.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had an interesting dinner. Found zucchini "noodles" with parmesan & garlic. I get tired of using cabbage to sub for pasta/rice noodles.

Did a "hunter's." dinner
...hunted around the fridge for things to toss in the skillet. A bit of rhubarb chopped, diced up deli ham (our stuff here is, ummmm, not very good), liberal amounts of garlic, dried parsley and that's pretty much it...it was very tasty. Refreshing switch.

About 15g carbs total for the meal. And there was a 12" dinner plate full.

Oh, i did sauté it up with a bit if butter to help the rhubarb out as i had no bacon to add.

The brand if the zucchini noodles escapes me but i doubt that translates.

I'm satisfied and don't have those post dinner carb cravings.
Are the poodles fresh or dried?

Supermarkets here sell them preprepared, but they're super simple to make with a spiraliser or a Julienne or Thai peeler to make the noodles.

It takes moments to shred a courgette for zoodles and the fresher they are, the better they cope with heating/cooking, although fresh zoodles can also be enjoyed raw, with a dressing.

If you try a hand held spiraliser be very careful. The blades are very sharp indeed.

Breck Lundin

Are the poodles fresh or dried?

Supermarkets here sell them preprepared, but they're super simple to make with a spiraliser or a Julienne or Thai peeler to make the noodles.

It takes moments to shred a courgette for zoodles and the fresher they are, the better they cope with heating/cooking, although fresh zoodles can also be enjoyed raw, with a dressing.

If you try a hand held spiraliser be very careful. The blades are very sharp indeed.
thanks for the chuckle! Needed that this morning.

I will look for some sort of kitchen gadget to make my own fresh. I really enjoyed them.

Reactions: 1spuds and Prem51

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Mbeira

We had courgettie the other day, the kids for the first time. I dressed it in olive oil and a bit of lemon. Uncooked. Very refreshing and surprisingly tasty. I have a great spiraliser that I just stuff the end of the courgette in, and twist away. After practice I could get the courgettie very long! Received the family vote!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm pretty serious about being careful. Something like this can cut you very, very badly indeed. The blades are very sharp, but they can work well https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetable-...s=spiraliser&qid=1558720852&s=gateway&sr=8-59
Agree. Sliced the top of my thumb the first time I used my hand held one. Luckily it healed well to no permanent damage but it was one of the worst kitchen cuts I’ve had. If you’re going to be a regular and frequent user I’d recommend something more stable and substantial. I don’t actually use mine much as I never ate much pasta so don’t miss it much and when I do I tend to finely slice (with a knife) cabbage and use that instead

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I picked up some cones for making spirals a while ago in Lidl - I think there were three, to make a ribbon, sturdy 'strings' or slender ones - for a couple of pounds. The blades are very sharp indeed - but the trick is to stick the vege inside, not the fingers.

Tonkafsr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Insects, cold weather,
Dunelm are doing an electric spiralizer at the moment for £8.....works brilliantly

Mbeira

We had courgettie the other day, the kids for the first time. I dressed it in olive oil and a bit of lemon. Uncooked. Very refreshing and surprisingly tasty. I have a great spiraliser that I just stuff the end of the courgette in, and twist away. After practice I could get the courgettie very long! Received the family vote!

AAAnd another low carb spaghetti hack - Aldi bean spaghetti! Standard spaghetti is 26g of carbs per portion, bean spaghetti is 6g of carbs. They do a black bean, and two soya beans, one green and one standard spaghetti colour - all 6g of carbs per portion. It comes in boxes (that recycle, unlike a lot of standard pasta) and I buy them all when I find it. £1.99 a box