Type 2 Intermittent fasting & Metformin

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been following the Michael Mosley intermittent fasting regime since September 2015 in an attempt to address Insulin resistance. 4 months later was diagnosed with Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) and started on steroids. Have continued the intermittent fasting, eating fist meal at around midday and not eating beyond 9pm. I am amazed that it's been 3.5 years!
My husband has shown some reshaping, but for me it doesn't seem to have made any difference although heaven knows how it would have been if I'd not been doing it along with the introduction of steroids.

I have a question.
I have, this last week, added the Metformin to my morning meds (steroids and BP tablet) which I take with milk. Would it be better to take the Metformin at midday, when I eat my first meal?

Thanks in advance for you answers.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a question.
I have, this last week, added the Metformin to my morning meds (steroids and BP tablet) which I take with milk. Would it be better to take the Metformin at midday, when I eat my first meal?

I believe it is better to take Metformin with food to lessen the chance of nasty tummy upsets and frequent toilet visits. I don't believe it matters what time of day you take it. Does that help?

I hope the steroids aren't causing raised blood sugar levels. It is a well known side effect, but as you have to take them then you have no choice but to put up with it.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Extended release doesn't usually unleash the beasts of the digestive tract here but it shouldn't matter at all what time of day you take it. Mainly just stops the release of glucose from the liver so it's not something that needs to be stringently controlled.

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe it is better to take Metformin with food to lessen the chance of nasty tummy upsets and frequent toilet visits. I don't believe it matters what time of day you take it. Does that help?

I hope the steroids aren't causing raised blood sugar levels. It is a well known side effect, but as you have to take them then you have no choice but to put up with it.

Thanks for your reply.

The raised blood sugar is down to steroids sadly. I am currently tapering my dose but it is taking a long time.
My blood sugar was pretty good before steroids even though I am morbidly obese. I hope once I am off steroids (in my dreams) that my blood sugar will return to something more stable.

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Extended release doesn't usually unleash the beasts of the digestive tract here but it shouldn't matter at all what time of day you take it. Mainly just stops the release of glucose from the liver so it's not something that needs to be stringently controlled.
Thanks.
My tablets aren't slow release. However, I will continue as I have started. Nothing drastic has happened so far.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply.

The raised blood sugar is down to steroids sadly. I am currently tapering my dose but it is taking a long time.
My blood sugar was pretty good before steroids even though I am morbidly obese. I hope once I am off steroids (in my dreams) that my blood sugar will return to something more stable.

I have a friend in your situation. She has been on large amounts of steroids for the same problem for several years, tapering down then increasing them again. Happily for her, she hasn't yet crossed the line to diabetes.

Reactions: KathyFrance