Introduction

Bux7phx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, my name is Paul. I am a 36yo male from the USA, and have been a type 1 since my 16th birthday.

Currently experiencing some health issues as relates to T1D. For the first 20 years of this, I would dose myself insulin, but was not the best about maintaining tight control, with most A1Cs being above 7.0, but no higher than 10.0. The worst part of this was that I didn't really understand or care to understand tighter control and probably operated under a level of "blissful ignorance."

About 3 months ago, I had this painful burning sensation up and down my calves, feet, ankles, and legs. First signs of neuropathy that were noticeable, and now I am not ignorant of this anymore, and certainly not blissful about where I am at right now.

That very night, as soon as I felt that, the first thing that I did was to go over to my pocket, take my cigarettes out and throw them in the trash. Haven't had one since. Starting to eat better and exercise more (up until about 3.5 years ago, I was coaching and would always have some level of activity to go with).

Anyhow, looking forward to being able to chat with people and get a further understanding of improvements to make (both physiologically and psychologically), as I cope and try to improve where I am at.

Cheers.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyhow, looking forward to being able to chat with people and get a further understanding of improvements to make (both physiologically and psychologically), as I cope and try to improve where I am at.

So, how are you managing your diabetes currently? What insulins are you on? Are you carb counting? What is your hba1c? Have you actually seen a doctor about what you think is neuropathy? How is that being managed? What is it exactly you are aiming to improve?

Bux7phx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So, how are you managing your diabetes currently? What insulins are you on? Are you carb counting? What is your hba1c? Have you actually seen a doctor about what you think is neuropathy? How is that being managed? What is it exactly you are aiming to improve?

Currently on Novolog with an insulin pump. I am carb counting and my last A1C was at 8.4 after being at 7.6 the previous time. My last visit, the doctor did a calculated A1C based on my trends and I would come in at 6.4, per the physicians assistant.

I have seen my endo and will wind up going to a neurologist next month to figure out exactly what my nerves are doing. Can definitely feel it in calves and ankles. A little bit in thighs and tops of feet. Around the elbow joints as well. I am taking MetanX, which is the alpha-lipoic acid - seems to be working g well, but want to get back to "normal" (as weird as that may sound) to where I don't get flustered by a little pain or tingling. Also incorporating more exercise into daily routine 20-30 minutes per day.

Honestly, just trying to make sense of where I had failed in past and coping with this, as I feel like all of this hit me at once. Apologies for the lack of transparency in original post.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. From what you are saying it implies the pump needs to provide a bit more Novolog? I know nothing about pumps but your HBa1C is quite high for someone on insulin and even MDI, no pump and without tight control should achieve a better HBa1C than yours. Do you have a Basal insulin as well as the Novolog? I hope you can get the neuropathy sorted.

Bux7phx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think my major issue has been not counting carbs correctly and not getting my settings right. That and checking sugars far more frequently - I was dosing but probably not dosing enough to cover that I was a little high before meals, etc. Like I said - blissful ignorance which is catching up now.

In some ways, frustrated at myself for what I will term squandering away time not getting better

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Bux7phx - welcome to the Forum. Glad you found it and hope that you will take full advantage of what is here in terms of information, personal challenges/victories/struggles and a bit of humor thrown in once in a while too! I too feel that the last 16 years I have "squandered away time not getting better", but now I am in control and turned a corner, albeit a little late, but hopefully enough to have a good grasp and handle on my life with diabetes. So don't beat yourself up too much as that can be detrimental as well. This is a marathon as so many on here have said, so it is literally one step in front of the other - some days better than others. Hopefully Daisy will come along and give you some great info which will serve as a great review and maybe have some new info for you as well. Take care and keep facing forward! Blessings/L

Reactions: Bux7phx

Bux7phx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you much for the kind words and support. I was very down when this happened a few months ago. Will probably wind up having a lot of discussions in other areas of this forum. Especially since I am unaware of just how much damage has been done. I do have a renewed sense of hope after seeing many people discuss how they have seen their neuropathy get better, but it will be something that will take more than a few weeks of good sugars to go with.