Intuitive eating

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Anyone tried this? Giving up dieting and listening to your body?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't diet but I (permanently) eat a low carb diet, and always listen to my body because for me that's the normal and sensible thing to do.

The only time I ever tried dieting as such (at husband's request!) I did actually lose weight but regained it (and more!!) almost immediately, but by eating a reduced carbs diet the weight I lost initially by this has stayed off for nearly five years now. (And this has been without doing any excercise other than a few normal bits around the house.)

Last edited:
Reactions: lcarter

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think everyone HAD to do this in the days before we had a clue about nutrition, guidelines, calories, macros and micro managing apps on our mobile phones. Heck, who had bathroom scales back then? Must have been very few of us.

The difference (I am assuming) is that we weren't constantly exposed to junk food, high sugar, high fat and carb foods all the time, so our bodies were more likely to put out genuine hungry signals, rather than what happens today, which is more likely to be 'OMG! I can't live another sec without my cocopops and skinny latte with caramel syrup! And I will need an energy drink to last til the end of the day because my boss just keeps jabbering at me and I am soooooo bored!'

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have, and it certainly didn't work for me. My 'intuition' would go 'Hey, a ripe banana is healthy and satiating, better buy a bunch' or at the supermarket with my slim non-diabetic husband, but before I knew I was diabetic, having to choose between a bag of frozen rice/sweetcorn and peas or a broccoli/carrot mix, he'd go for the latter whereas I'd go for the first. When in India I got a crush on a locally grown fruit called 'chikoo'. It was yummy and fruit, so hey, must be healthy ...? A couple of years later I read in an Indian diabetic cook book to steer clear of those exact fruits. So you might say that I use my intuition now, but I've turned the rule upside down. If you like it, don't eat it.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Came pretty naturally to me after going low carb. I did recently(ish) make an effort to increase protein intake & I eat some things just because they're particularly nutrient dense (sardines/oysters/broccoli) but for the most part I gravitate toward good, nutritious non (or minimally) processed food & eat as much as I feel I need. Besides carbs I don't really 'count' anything but I do a bit of tracking to keep an eye micronutrients & it all seems pretty good. Interestingly I appear to have naturally settled on a protein/fat ratio that gels with what Dr Ted Naiman recommends for muscle building & which just happens to be my current goal given my blood sugar situation is all good. I like to think my body is sending me the right signals now that I've got out of it's way.