Type 2 Inviting Input!

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I'm a week into life with my new life buddy, Dio - I personify EVERYTHING and this is how I'm coping with the T2 diagnosis: it's a part of my life yet separate to me, it doesn't define me, but it cannot be ignored, If I personify it, it becomes a tiny, individual part of my psyche that has its own needs, considerations, moods and quirks. I've also done this to my vicious and often troublesome reproductive system, otherwise referred to as "The She-*****" (she has a terrible appetite for the worst kind of men, is vengefully painful and messes my entire body up once a month.and then will ignore me for weeks. She's the nightmare room-mate)

ANYWAY.

I'm a week into life since Dio moved in with me, and there are some issues that I can't seem to resolve or find any data on. While I have an NHS appointment (a 45 minute "education" appointment with the gramatically amusing "surgery's diabetic nurse") on Wednesday, I'm already aware that my circumstances alone are unusual enough to warrant much of the advice pointless, let alone the feelings of the NHS and NICE regarding testing for T2s, low-carb diets, medication and whatnot. From my brief time reading this forum, it seems very clear that, when it comes to Dio, there's more than one way to skin this particular cat.

So I thought I'd throw some questions out to you, my Shiny New Community and see what you come up with. Please, any kind of opinion, experience, even weblinks (real, reputable scientific publications only, if you're going in that direction, please!) are welcome. There's so many people here that, I figure, when you break my weird set of circumstances down into pieces, lots of people will have experienced little bits of the whole, right?

So here goes - and thanks in advance!

Q1. Exercise!
I literally can't exercise at the moment - I have severe lumbar spinal stenosis and lose feeling in my legs after about 2 minutes standing up. That and having 2 slipped discs means that there's a severe limitation to what I can do and how long I can do it for. I know that exercise has strong links with a reduction in insulin resistance (and supports weight loss) and, therefore, is important to anyone, especially me with Dio and my gorgeously whale-like figure but how do I do it?

Does anyone else have experience with severe spinal injury and exercise? How did you manage it? How much did it cost? How much exercise is required before you felt its impact?

Q2. Weight Loss / Low Carb Diet
I guess I'm far from alone in saying that, throughout my life, I've had a complicated relationship with food and that this has been further complicated by living on very little money (single parent carer on benefits), very little energy (aside from diabetes, have been on-off severely anaemic for last 4 years) and by the fact that my 11 year old son, Euan, has autism and some serious sensory issues regarding food.

I am ready to (aggressively) embrace a low carb lifestyle (I see it like banging on Dio's door and telling him to keep the noise down) but I have real concerns about whether I can afford it and what my son will eat. You have to understand, saying his sensory issues with food are something he's chosen is like saying I decided to become insulin resistant. So, there's 2 diets to accommodate out of the same single budget. But, also, does it take very much time to prepare meals? Does it feel like a diet (denying one's self and feeling hungry all the time) or like a lifestyle change?

I signed up to the program already, I just can't commit to starting until I understand the impact it's going to have on Euan. If anyone else out there has experience to shifting reluctant family members onto a low-carb diet, please share!

Q3. Medical ID.
I read someone's view on this forum (my apologies, I don't remember who you are) that said they felt that by wearing a medical bracelet, they were "branding" themselves as diabetic, and that was too much of a definition for them to mentally and emotionally cope with. And I get this - it's why I say "Euan has autism" and not "My autistic son, Euan" (in the first, Euan possesses ASD, in the second, ASD possesses him).

BUT, I am a full-time carer who has no back-up and a shady medical past (2 blocked kidneys and sepsis 3 years ago left me fighting for my life for a month) and it strikes me that while the above concerns are correct, it's simply just practical to allow medical teams access to the appropriate information should anything happen.

Are there any other carers with thoughts on this?

Q4. Parents telling children.
I've seen a lot about how parents explain diabetes to their children when it's the child's diagnosis, but next to nothing on how to explain a parent's diagnosis to a child. Much less how to explain it to a child with autism / socio-emotional issues / learning difficulties.

I'm a parent who very much believes in truth at all times and information ALWAYS being available. But how do you explain diabetes to children? How much info is too much?

My strategy thus far is to take Euan with me to the appointment on Wednesday and let him be as much a part of what's going on as I am. To let him see a testing meter and watch it in use, to ask questions about numbers, life expectancy and so on. I want someone with authority to categorically answer his questions and anxieties - but am I making Dio too significant? Am I building and investing in it too much?

Anyone else's thoughts would be welcome!

Q5. Grief. Coming to terms. Shame. Negative emotions.
I've been grotesquely and painfully aware of my weight since before I was overweight - thanks, Mum. I'm 6' tall and built like a Cornish fisherman and, since I was a kid, back when you could still count every rib in my chest, I've always read as overweight on every weight chart.

Doctors will tell me that my ideal weight is around 11 stone. When I weighed 14 stone, I couldn't lie on the floor without my hips getting bruised. With this obvious disconnect between What Doctors Say and what my experience in my body has been, it seems obvious now that diabetes has always been something of an inevitability.

In the last week, since my diagnosis, I've found it very hard to tell even my closest friends because I've felt so ashamed. The media does a grand job of shaming the overweight as it is - as if we woke up one morning and said to ourselves "Sod it, I'm going to get really, really fat and stop moving and continue like this for years. Then I'm going to let someone else worry about all this for me!"

I've seen obesity variously described as a disease, a modern plague, a lifestyle choice. The truth is, I've been too busy single-handedly raising, learning about, understanding, fighting for a disabled child with complex needs to consider my own health for quite some time, and before Euan arrived, the guidance was neither realistic nor helpful.

I'm curious, how has anyone else coped with these feelings? Where do you find your strongest support? How did you beat the shame?

Q6 (A final quickie) To gastric band or not gastric band?

I might be facing spinal surgery already. What are people's thoughts about gastric banding?

Many thanks in advance to any and all replies.

Love and good readings,

Sock x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that the first thing to accept is that most of the attitudes and advice from health care professionals is total tosh.
After 3 months I had results which were in the prediabetes range, at my six months my results were pretty much non diabetic.
I eat pretty much what my husband has, except for the high carb component - tonight it was new potatoes for him, I had sweet pepper, a half serving of peas, and smoked haddock.
Eating with the family was never difficult, we shared the main element of the meal then they had more carby foods and I had something lower carb or a smaller portion.
Some weightloss is to be expected if required just by eating low carb, there is no need to do anything drastic to lower blood glucose levels other than eating fewer carbs.
If you let us know what sorts of foods your son eats then we can maybe suggest what you could eat with them - if that is possible.
I'll tag @daisy1 so you get the standard recommendations - but it always helps to have extra advice on actual menus.

Reactions: daisyduck

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Just my opinion - but if your friends start being a bit ... judgemental.... about your diabetes then they aren't really friends. Your diabetes is now a part of you - much like any other kind of ailment - and you mustn't be ashamed of it. Just my opinion but I believe that those of us who have T2 are genetically programmed to get it if the circumstances are right (or wrong). So, in the past, when there was a shortage of food or when we, as a society, didn't snack so much or when meals weren't so big as they are nowadays the T2 didn't develop - but now we are in situation where food is pentiful the T2 has kicked in for many of us.

As for your lad - my experience with people with autism is that they are very accepting - usually more than non autistic people. I worked in a company with lots of different units and I have worked in most of them - and I would say that the service users are far more accepting of it than the staff were. As for explanations - if you think your son can cope with an in depth explanation then go for it but all I used to say was that there were foods that my body didn't like so I don't eat them any more - but mostly they didn't ask - about the only time they did was when I refused cake or sweets and then they used to tell me that I couldn't eat them. :) They were all very interested in the finger prick blood glucose testing (which I tried to do when I was alone but wasn't always successful) and they got quite upset when I said I couldn't do it to them.

I understand completely what you mean about 'the perfect weight' not being right for you. For many years I struggled to get down to below 9st - and in the summer of 1987 by virtually starving myself and obsessively doing the Jane Fonda workout every day I managed it. I was so chuffed - but my friends told me I looked terminally ill - like a walking skeleton.

I don't wear a medical bracelet but I do have a 'message' saved on my phone under 'ICE' (In Case of Emergencies) with my husband's mobile number and how I need to be treated if, for any reason, I have a really bad hypo but I haven't had a bad hypo since I started low carbing. I also have a card in my purse (in the clear bit where you'd put an ID card) where I also set out what to do in an emergency. I never go anywhere without my phone or purse.

About affording a low carb diet - have a look in the Low Carb Forum old threads as there are quite a few about low carbing on a budget. In my house we eat low carb all the time but with a few higher carb foods for Mr C which he can have when he feels like it. A good low carb diet is perfectly fine for everyone. There is a thread on the Low Carb Forum which is where many of us post what we eat each day - I find it full of really great ideas for bringing variety in to my diet. I've been low carbing for two years now and every now and then I feel the need to introduce something new in to our menu.

No, I wouldn't say it takes any longer to prepare a low carb meal than it does an ordinary one. For instance, if we have a roast chicken dinner then I will miss out the spuds. As you get along with the diet you may way to start cooking some low carb recipes which may take a bit longer. If I were you I'd list the things Euan likes to eat then see which of them fit in with a low carb diet and use that as your basis for your weekly menus. For instance, where I worked EVERYONE loved a proper cooked breakfast and that fits in very well with low carb - as long as you choose low carb sausages. (Asda do great low carb chipolatas.)

Finally, exercise.... nowadays I have severe arthritis in both my knees, neck, spine, hip, neck and assorted other smaller joins so I can't exercise - I do attempt an occasional walk with hubby and dogs but quite short distances can put me off my feet for a few days - so I've chosen to be very strict with the low carbing and I keep my blood glucose under control that way. It can be done. It is not essential to exercise as well.

Sorry to ramble on and not answer your points in the order you asked them - I just hope I've been able to help a bit. x

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've already met the wonderful @daisy1 but I'm certain she's an absolute font of information and would gratefully welcome anything she has to say.

Food that Euan eats:
Generally, stodgy mush that is either entirely flavourless or completely overwhelming - he'll eat unsweetened porridge so thick you can stand your spoon up in it or Dijon mustard out the jar but, really, nothing in between.

He doesn't like food that changes texture in his mouth - for example, cherry tomatoes are solid, but then they pop and turn to liquid. The same with many other fruits. But, also, he struggles to chew so resists unprocessed meats (steak, pork chops, chicken breasts are all impossible), raw veg or anything too crunchy.

He's also acquired the family carb fetish - so aside from challenging his sensory issues, there's also the ritualism / routine loving autism aspect to contend with.

The other night I wrapped a chicken breast in pesto and bacon and baked it for my dinner (a delicious experiment) and he was eager to try a bit of that, but the roasted veg I had with it left him completely cold. My worry with a low carb diet is that he will eat exclusively the protein element and there will be nowhere for me to "hide" any vegetable content (swede and carrots mashed into potato, eg).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

My worry with a low carb diet is that he will eat exclusively the protein element and there will be nowhere for me to "hide" any vegetable content (swede and carrots mashed into potato, eg).
It's hard to hide broccoli in milk as well. :D

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cream and cheese... both low carb! How's bacon? That's low carb, right?

So we're talking the delicious stuff that comes in pies... without the pastry. The guts of a quiche without the annoying blind baking. Marinated chicken and veg skewers without the obligation to take a spoonful of rice, too.

I'm starting to feel the magic!

Reactions: Rachox and ziggy_w

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Honestly, I just had one of those moments of Absolute Realisation when your worldview rocks a bit and, when it settles, things are at just a slightly different angle.

It went like this:

@Tipetoo said "Cheese and mushroom omelettes are a magic breakfast as well, bacon is a optional extra." then
@Hotpepper20000 said "Optional really hmmmm I THINK NOT!!!;)" then
@SockFiddler 's brain went - and I quote exactly the mental process that happened using such formatting as I can to convey the moment...

"But bacon is really bad for you - have you see the fat content. Fat's terrible for your heart, dontcha know... but NOWAITOHMYGAWD HANG ON that's wrong - the science is in doubt and you have an issue with CARBS. Bacon doesn't have any carbs in it (ignore the salt - let's not complicate things, yo). I can eat bacon again. BUT WAIT that means pork has no carbs. That means belly pork, slow-roasted with crackling has no carbs in...

O

MY

GOODNESS

MEAT!

cow.png

And then there was some air punching and whooping and whatnot.

And then I paused for a moment and realised that that one vegan I know is going to absolutely hate me now.

And then there was some more whooping and air punching.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have a grand recipe for belly pork in ginger. It involves shredded cabbage and a handful of cashews. Job's a goodun'.

Reactions: ickihun and ziggy_w

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
As for excercise, this is a problem for me, too. As I am wheelchair bound it is difficult to work out what kind of excercise to do that is safe and sustainable. I found a couple of videos on YouTube specifically for paraplegics and even one for a cardio workout but as for weight bearing excercise I am unable to find anything that is gentle enough whilst still being of benefit. As I am chasing sixty I obviously don't have the muscle mass of a youngster and having rotator cuff injuries means any excercise involving my arms needs to be tempered to my personal abilities. Still, even gentle exercise is better than couch potatoing.

Hotpepper20000

As for excercise, this is a problem for me, too. As I am wheelchair bound it is difficult to work out what kind of excercise to do that is safe and sustainable. I found a couple of videos on YouTube specifically for paraplegics and even one for a cardio workout but as for weight bearing excercise I am unable to find anything that is gentle enough whilst still being of benefit. As I am chasing sixty I obviously don't have the muscle mass of a youngster and having rotator cuff injuries means any excercise involving my arms needs to be tempered to my personal abilities. Still, even gentle exercise is better than couch potatoing.
While I could never even imagine what it is to be wheelchair bound I can speak too the effectiveness of exercise.
Only LCHF help me loose 50 pounds.
I biked, swam, HITT and walked I could not shake the pounds. My muscles where strong and my heart healthy but the pounds didn't not move.
I ate what was considered a healthy diet but because I am severely insulin resistant I had to cut back my carbs.
Only then did I have sucesss.
I still have another 50 to lose but now I know I can do it.
I'm not sure if weight loss is your goal, but as far as getting BG under control LCHF has been key for me getting 40 A1C and exercise is key for my mental health.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @SockFiddler ..
Input as requested ..
Please, please keep copies of all your posts (forum and blog) and notes of all your thoughts and experiences ..
You should be writing a book ..

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some great advice concerning diet so nothing extra to add there but I too have a son with autism who was in his mid teens when I was diagnosed, he has complex food issues too but apart from the chewing meat thing he is the opposite to your son, no slop whatsoever- foods totally separate can't touch at all, will eat all his veg first then leave his protein and any carbs as he is "full" -
My son and yours would make great dinner guests - they could polish off a proper plate of food between them rather like Jack Spratt and his wife lol

Anyhow the question about taking your son to your appointment, only you will know how he will deal with it. My son was terrified I was going to die and his anxiety was through the roof. I want to my first app on my own and explained about him to the nurse - she invited him in to my next appointment and was brilliant with him, explained in a way he could understand the what where and whys and it certainly helped him understand- mind you he's like the food police now when we are out and about and everyone and their father knows I have diabetes lol

Reactions: ziggy_w

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cream and cheese... both low carb! How's bacon? That's low carb, right?

So we're talking the delicious stuff that comes in pies... without the pastry. The guts of a quiche without the annoying blind baking. Marinated chicken and veg skewers without the obligation to take a spoonful of rice, too.

I'm starting to feel the magic!
Now you have seen the light..!

Also if Euan likes mash then cauliflower mash is a great low carb alternative its especially nice with cream and cheese added and some BACON!