Type 2 is 5.6 low

roseugine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rudeness loud music in shops cruelty in any form to human or animal.,cold weather being fat getting old
saw doctor yesterday they want to take me of victoza my a1c 5.6 which I thought was good she says it should be 7 also told me I am at risk of heart attack and cancer if I stay on victoza .I don't want to go back on insulin as I feel so well now.dont know what to do

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.6 is great..
Unfortunately they do have guidelines which are around the seven mark for anyone using potential hypo inducing drugs.. But that's just a safety margin..? They seem to ignore the fact one maybe hypo awair/ never passed out/ or have rare hypo events to start with..

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sounds like the other issue here is the fact they want you to stop Victoza. Did they offer an alternative?

I know you said they mentioned some general issues, but did they say how these related to you? If it was me, I'd try to have a talk with them and get more details about their concerns.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My son was told the same when he started on Gliclazide to try not to go below 7

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
That's a great HbA1C. Well done. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

roseugine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rudeness loud music in shops cruelty in any form to human or animal.,cold weather being fat getting old
thank you all I was in the fives before going on victoza I asked to go on it as I was obese I have followed high fat low carb for ten years I believe it was the insulin that kept me from loosing weight.I must admit the consultant who saw me asked if I really was diabetic as she rarely sees numbers like mine..She let me go on victoza as she believed it would help me loose weight which it did now my doctor wants me off it as she says it will cause me to have a heart attack or cancer of the pancreas .I came home and read some really scary stuff about it causing cancer in rats and mice.then you read it was only on a small number and its inconclusive
I feel nobodys telling the real truth .my husband talked to me this morning as I was in a state I have worked so hard over the years to get where I am now had arguments with doctors dietitians and even more with diabetic nurses.He says to go along with coming off victoza and see what happens as with the weight loss maybe my body has changed and could be producing more insulin.what do you think any advice is really appreciated thank you.I always check my blood sugars before driving and never had a hypo as I get what I call the tingle in my lips which alerts me my sugars are low.no nerve damage in my feet I am lucky at 68yrs old and 12 years in as a diabetic.

Last edited by a moderator:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has there been mention of going back on to insulin if you stop the Victoza? I've no idea how much weight you've lost but you husband might be right, being large can affect insulin resistance hopefully now you've trimmed down you're not so resistant and can control with diet alone? If you blood readings start to go up you can ask to be put back on the Victoza?