Is a reading of 9-9.5 too high?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Artificial sweetners are marketed as being zero calories, which generally true. They are good for weight loss, but uselses at reducing bgl. I was quite shocked when I read the news reports about them affecting bgl, since I had believed them to be a suitable sugar replacement. There have now been some recent studies that seem to confirm these findings in terms of the gut enzyme response, so although I still use a sweetner, i have cut down on portion size,. I find that I can enjoy bulletproof coffee without any sweetner, but normal coffee still requires 1 tab. Note: semi or skimmed milk contains lactose which will raise bgl - whole milk has less effect. (see LCHF diet thread for more info)

I have found that for me a slice of toast in the morning is ok bglwise, but I had to search quite extensively to find one that suited me. i ended up with a 5 seed batch loaf from Aldi (or the Hovis equivalent is also good but costs more). Having it with butter keeps the levels down, but I spike if I leave off the butter. Luckily, the rest of my family (all Carboholics) also prefer this bread to most (excepting Tiger Bread). I used to use cuppa-porridge thingy but it spiked me a bit, so now its a standby if the bread has gang green. I also use Lidl high protein rolls, but find them a bit of a struggle in the mornings, so tend to use them as potato or pasta replacement.

I can't stand cream in coffee.
Completely vile.

But it's not the great issue it seems to be made out to be.

If you consider how much milk/cream you put in coffee, maybe 10ml, or 20ml?

So 20ml of skimmed milk has 1g of carbs in.
20ml of single cream has 0.5g of carbs in.
20ml of double cream has 0.3g of carbs in.

So, it's a complete myth that skimmed milk will cause you to spike, unless you really are sensitive to half a g of carbs. In which case you can't have the cream either.

Interestingly, many put a lot more cream into their 'bulletproof' coffee than the splash of milk most people put into a normal cup,
So I suspect there are far more carbs in bullet proof coffee in reality, than there are in my morning decaf with a splash of skimmed milk.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Instead of the skimmed milk it might be worth trying full cream milk which has less carbs in it...

But generally, as already suggested, cereals aren't a good idea.

Robbity

Again a complete myth I'm afraid.

200ml full cream milk, 9.5g carbs
200ml skimmed milk 10g carbs

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Again a complete myth I'm afraid.

200ml full cream milk, 9.5g carbs
200ml skimmed milk 10g carbs
Although this may not be a problem for the OP, there are some here where 10g of carbs is nearly half their daily carb limit, so is not insignificant. Also it is mainly lactose which is sugar and fast acting.

I use Heavy Cream (double cream in UK) when I need to put on weight, and that is 3 to 3.2g carbs per 200 ml, and only 3% lactose. And yes, i use more than a namby pamby splash coz I need to add weight.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although this may not be a problem for the OP, there are some here where 10g of carbs is nearly half their daily carb limit, so is not insignificant. Also it is mainly lactose which is sugar and fast acting.

I use Heavy Cream (double cream in UK) when I need to put on weight, and that is 3 to 3.2g carbs per 200 ml, and only 3% lactose. And yes, i use more than a namby pamby splash coz I need to add weight.

Hence my suggestion switching from skimmed to whole milk will only save 0.5g, so not worth doing.

hornplayer

How about trying one of the lactose free dairy substitutes? I use Arla Lactofree. I can't tell the difference in taste and no spikes.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How about trying one of the lactose free dairy substitutes? I use Arla Lactofree. I can't tell the difference in taste and no spikes.

It has the same sugar content though.
All that happens is the enzyme is added, so the digestive process has started when you get it.
Hence lactose free, as it's been moved onto the next step.
Not removed from the milk.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It has the same sugar content though.
All that happens is the enzyme is added, so the digestive process has started when you get it.
Hence lactose free, as it's been moved onto the next step.
Not removed from the milk.
Surely lactose is the sugar that causes the spike, so making it inert must surely be a positive. As we know, cheese has low lactose, and does not spike either, so the enzyme is doing its job.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Surely lactose is the sugar that causes the spike, so making it inert must surely be a positive. As we know, cheese has low lactose, and does not spike either, so the enzyme is doing its job.

It's not 'inert' . It's merely has the digestive enzyme the human body produces to convert it into sugar pre-added for the people that don't have the enzyme naturally. ie, it's pre converted into the next step of the sugar.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
....... Still doesn't cause the spikes that regular milk does. For me, anyway.

A good summary of types of milk,

http://livehealthy.chron.com/levels-carbs-different-varieties-milk-5217.html

From the website

Most of the carbohydrates in milk come from lactose, a type of sugar made of two different sugar molecules joined together. Lactose-free milk is made by adding an enzyme that breaks each lactose molecule into its two separate sugar components, glucose and galactose, so it contains the same amount of total carbohydrates, just in a different form. Lactose-free milk is available in whole, reduced-fat and skim versions.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not 'inert' . It's merely has the digestive enzyme the human body produces to convert it into sugar pre-added for the people that don't have the enzyme naturally. ie, it's pre converted into the next step of the sugar.
Yes, you are correct. It does become D-Glucose which passes into the bloodstream. So it becoes a quick acting spike in the bgl, that may be missed if testing with a normal bgl meter.

It seems Arla semi-skimmed milk has 3.0 g of carbs per 100 ml, of which 3.0 g is sugar.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, you are correct. It does become D-Glucose which passes into the bloodstream. So it becoes a quick acting spike in the bgl, that may be missed if testing with a normal bgl meter.

It seems Arla semi-skimmed milk has 3.0 g of carbs per 100 ml, of which 3.0 g is sugar.

The nutritional values of lactose free milk are interesting, it seems out of the contents, of milk, and Lactase Enzyme, the fat and carbs are about 2/3 that of the equivalent milk.
The proteins are the same.
To me, that would suggest the enzyme, (which is a protein, and accounted for in the nutritional information) is actually in a liquid form, (in water) and makes up a reasonable proportion of the end product.
So there is a benefit in overall carb level. (and material cost for the manufacturer )

Of course, if you don't need lactose free milk, you could just water down regular milk.

Fifi0106

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, wondering if anyone here has some advice..not sure if im writing in the right place but very grateful for some info :) i was diagnosed with T2 when pregnant and borderline after my baby..recently having numb legs and slightly deaf in one ear feom time to time..i seen the doc but no bloods till next week..ive just tested myself at home and results showing 9.5.. do you think the diabetes is back fully?? Again im grateful for any advice and sorry if this isnt the right place :)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, wondering if anyone here has some advice..not sure if im writing in the right place but very grateful for some info :) i was diagnosed with T2 when pregnant and borderline after my baby..recently having numb legs and slightly deaf in one ear feom time to time..i seen the doc but no bloods till next week..ive just tested myself at home and results showing 9.5.. do you think the diabetes is back fully?? Again im grateful for any advice and sorry if this isnt the right place :)
Although a 9.5 is higher than a nondiabetic would expect, as they say. one swallow does not a summer make, and really only the proper blood tests will establish a diagnosis for you. The spot check you did could be misleading due to a false reading in the meter, old strips etc, or maybe your finger had some contaminant on it. Had you eaten of drank close to when you tested, you should leave at least 2 hours clear.

Suggest you wash your test site afresh, and re test to see if there is a regular high trend, or just a mis-read. As you had a previous gestational diagnosis, then the possibility remains of a positive blood test, but at least then you will know one way or the other, and can plan accordingly. So, please follow the GP route for now, and you should get an answer soon. Good luck.

Reactions: Fifi0106

Fifi0106

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you :) I told my doc i was going to test at home and he said that was fine and i took all normal precautions (cleaning,2 hrs after food etc) I also tested myself 1st thing (fasting) and a reading of 7.5 came up..i really do feel like im going insane due to feeling so unwell so my own test are just curiosity more than anything. The numbness and deafness is the worrying part because im not sure if diabetes sufferers get this..but Yeah, ill just have to see what happens with the docs .thank you for your reply ;)x

Reactions: pjayem1964