Is a reading of 9-9.5 too high?

dan1jess2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hiya

I just wanted to check something when I eat breakfast 2 hrs after my readings are around 9-9.5, after another hour it drops to 4-5-5? Is this too high or can I carry on eating cereal or toast for breakfast?? I love my cereal and have eaten it for breakfast for the last 40years!? Obviously if 9 is too high I will have to change the diabetic nurse just said as long as between. 5-10 ok. Ceri x

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could try and test one hour after breakfast and see what is says.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would say that is a little high also.My rule of thumb is to test prior to eating a new food and 1hr and 2 hrs after eating.I would aim for no more than a 2.0 point rise and no more than an overall max of 7.8
If the meal takes you above this then it may not be for you anymore.
It is great you are testing tho,get a diary and start recording what you eat and the effects.You may be surprised at what you can and can't personally tolerate.
Also have a look at LCHF on here, works for many of us.Bacon and Eggs for brekkie can't be bad??

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your nurse is being rather over generous with her 5-10 target. The NICE recommendations say no more than 8.5 post meal, so where she gets the 10 for a T2 from I have no idea. Perhaps next time you see her you should ask.

It's very hard changing a breakfast you have enjoyed for 40 years. I have been in that very situation but I threw the cereal packet away and changed my habit. Why not give something else a try? Something carb free, or almost carb free. Eggs, omelettes, cold meats, cheese, tomatoes, or a delicious fry up. Try it a few days and see if it makes a difference.

Also, it was mentioned above, what was your level before breakfast? That reading is essential to know before you can work out what the food has done to you.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is higher than the guidelines but do take into account what your fasting reading was. I find that my fbg is high, quite often over 8, and therefore no matter what I eat for breakfast my post breakfast reading can be 9 on those days. I follow a low carb way of eating, so my breakfast is usually something like eggs or mushrooms. Cereal or toast would push me very high.

So, if I wake up anf my fbg is, say, 8.2, then 2 hours after breakfast it's 9.5, I don't stress about it. If my fbg is 6.2 (rare, but it sometimes happens) and my post breakfast reading is 9.5 I would review what i had eaten and not have it again, or have a smaller portion next time.

Reactions: 4 people

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's too high. I threw my weetabix away after 30 years and no longer miss them.
Eggs, bacon and sausages are my new friends. Lost 4 stone and reversed my diabetes.

Reactions: 4 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I am 65yrs old and have had cereal and toast all my life. When I was diagnosed Type 2 in Jan this year my diabetic nurse also told me that she was fine with me having porridge and wholemeal toast and to carry on but reduce the portion size a little. Tried the porridge and toast readings high tried the porridge on its own readings up, then tried other cereals, same problems, one day tried shredded wheat reading over 10s. So no with the advice off the forum I have eggs every morning, scrambled poached or made into an omelette. Also I may have mushrooms, tomato, cheese bacon etc: with the eggs. Now I don't even think about the cereal. Good luck

Reactions: 5 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I'm with VinnyJames...diagnosed 6 weeks ago, porridge every morning with milk (lactose sugar) and spiked to 11+. Took a deep breath, knocked it on the head, researched and signed up for LCHF....never felt so satisfied...all markers now in non-diabetic range (but of course I'm still T2)...and I lost 22lbs. So if I were you, I'd change your brekkie, but don't expect it to be such a big challenge, just flip your psychological switch and say to yourself "this will be fine, it will be so good for me" :)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Have a read of this website
www.bloodsugar101.com
It is aimed at type 2s and explains, in detail why and how the blood sugar targets are decided, and discusses the evidence for lowering them. It also explains the consequences and long term complications that arise when we exceed the targets.

When I first arrived here, some friendly forumite directed me to that site, and I have never looked back. It is one of the best things I have ever found to understand and motivate me to keep on top of my blood glucose levels.

Hope it helps you too.

dan1jess2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks everyone for your lovely messages, strangley enough my fasting number is always around 6, this morning I usually have a little bit of Candarel on my cereal this morning I didn't and it only went up to 7.7 with 2 Weetabix and skimmed milk??

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That would be the same for me roughly too.
However, if I have an omelette my reading will barely rise.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The higher the reading the harder the body (beta cells) have to work.
If you don't work your body too hard you will get more out of it

dan1jess2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is very true "@"vinnyjames x maybe I'm expecting too much

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Instead of the skimmed milk it might be worth trying full cream milk which has less carbs in it...

But generally, as already suggested, cereals aren't a good idea.

Robbity

maria1119

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya

I just wanted to check something when I eat breakfast 2 hrs after my readings are around 9-9.5, after another hour it drops to 4-5-5? Is this too high or can I carry on eating cereal or toast for breakfast?? I love my cereal and have eaten it for breakfast for the last 40years!? Obviously if 9 is too high I will have to change the diabetic nurse just said as long as between. 5-10 ok. Ceri x

just took my bloods and the meter says my blood result was 31.1

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
just took my bloods and the meter says my blood result was 31.1

Goodness me. How do you feel?

Please drink plenty of water and keep testing. If it isn't going down you need to get help, either call 111 or go to an emergency walk in place or similar. That is very high.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Goodness me. How do you feel?

Please drink plenty of water and keep testing. If it isn't going down you need to get help, either call 111 or go to an emergency walk in place or similar. That is very high.

Maria, please follow Bluetit's advice and get help if not significantly dropping very soon. Let us know your progress.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

dan1jess2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
"@"maria1119 please let us know how you are?