Is a very low carb diet healthy?

mikeypat

If this is correct as a type 1 if I had zero carbs in my diet there would be be no need for me to inject insulin hence in theory I could in fact cure my insulin dependant diabetes ! Interesting .
My dad was a Type1 diabetic, and as a child, I remember him weighing the carbs so he knew how much insulin to inject. The 2 are well-linked.

mikeypat

Yes. If it’s done properly. I live on virtually zero carbs every day and let my liver make up the balance of glucose. Carbohydrate in and of itself is a fuel source, nothing more. As with any diet the important thing is making sure you get plenty of micronutrients. I live exclusively on animal produce and try to eat plenty of organs. Seems to work for me. Never felt stronger or healthier. Obviously I’m not advocating for everyone to do the same, but the point is that your chosen fuel source is secondary to the amount and quality of vitamins and minerals. In my opinion.
No herbs, salads, nuts or berries?

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Surely 20 carbs a day cannot be healthy is it ?

Probably not for a Type 1, but that level of carbs has let many Type 2 diabetics go into remission and lose weight, so it's not dangerous, the oppposite, in fact. What has to be monitored all the time at first while the body is adjusting to lower carb levels, is blood sugar, and if you're taking any medication which lowers your blood sugar, such as insulin, you should be aware of how to adjust for the lower blood sugars you will have. Many Type 2s have managed to reduce their blood glucose medication, cholesterol medication, and blood pressure medication by eating low carb, or even come off their medications completely. What do you think is 'dangerous'?

Reactions: jjraak

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably not for a Type 1,

I agree with much of what you say but there are a fair few type 1s who do very well indeed on a ketogenic way of eating. Carbs are the only non-essential macronutrient. So while those who are metabolically healthy or who have the option of exogenous insulin may deal with them and choose to eat them, no-one actually needs them.

Edited for typo

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder why you need extra salt , do you know the reason for that ?

When you start eating low carb, you tend to start cooking from fresh, so not many ready meals and fast foods. These foods have lots of added salts and sugars. You don't need the sugars but you do need salt for many chemical processes within the body. Magnesium and sodium are vital to muscle and heart function, for a start......

DaPa

When was it that low carb was first introduced to replace the low fat theory.

25 years ago I followed a low-fat diet and helped with my weight loss, however, my mother was diagnosed T2 around the same time but her diet advice was not what is promoted nowadays.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When was it that low carb was first introduced to replace the low fat theory.

25 years ago I followed a low-fat diet and helped with my weight loss, however, my mother was diagnosed T2 around the same time but her diet advice was not what is promoted nowadays.

William Banting published in 1862 ...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
William Banting published in 1862 ...
Snap. On a technicality, in1862 Banting was acting out the role of Fat GuineaPig Slim and it was Aug 1863 when he published his Letter on Corpulance to the General Public wbich was his testimonial (n=1) trial results.

Reactions: bulkbiker

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just bit more on what Banting actually used
https://www.businessinsider.com/keto-diet-william-banting-discovery-origin-1862-2019-1?r=US&IR=T

You will see from his diet plan that the original Banting diet was just Low Carb and did not have added fat content, As the article points out, ketosis was not invented till later and Banting would be unaware of recent research that has identified protein and muscle scavenging due to ketosis which is why the keto version of LCHF needs the added fat energy. LCHF as we know it now came from Scandanavia at the turn of this century.

Last edited:

DaPa

So, it seems it has been around a long time.

When I was losing weight in the 90's it primarily focused on low fat

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just bit more on what Banting actually used
https://www.businessinsider.com/keto-diet-william-banting-discovery-origin-1862-2019-1?r=US&IR=T

As an aside, there is a statue to William Harvey. eminent cardiologist, on the seafront at Folkestone beach. He is holding a dismembered heart in one hand, and the plaque says he was instrumental in discovering and mapping the human cardiovascular system ( i.e. our plumbing) He was the Doctor behind Banting,
It was a different William Harvey - the one Banting consulted was an audiologist.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was a different William Harvey - the one Banting consulted was an audiologist.
I stand corrected. I should read things that I post more carefully. ENT surgeon is indeed an audiologist.