Type 1 Is Couscous Good For Diabetics

del.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My hba1c came extremely high recently to 112 since then, my own fault wasn't paying attention to my health to busy caring for others. I should have been taking 4 metformins in total per day.

Since now two months I have cut out my sugars but realised my morning sugar level is between 11.4 - 16.3.

I've noticed rice doesn't help at all so I've completely cut that out.

I was wondering what I can replace it with

Couscous may be?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My hba1c came extremely high recently to 112 since then, my own fault wasn't paying attention to my health to busy caring for others. I should have been taking 4 metformins in total per day.

Since now two months I have cut out my sugars but realised my morning sugar level is between 11.4 - 16.3.

Couscous may be?
Over 23 per 100g is way too much for me.

Look up the nutritional value for any food you're interested in on any supermarket web site.

Reactions: del.uk

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Couscous may be?

Your profile settings say you are Type 1. Yet you say you are on Metformin only. Can you clarify this? If you are not type 1, it would be a good idea to change this in the drop down box in your profile settings, otherwise you may receive inappropriate advice. It makes a big difference when discussing diet.

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Couscous may be?

Hi @del.uk ,

Welcome to the forum.! :)

You're listed as T1. Is this correct. What insulin regime are you on.?

Reactions: Bluetit1802

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely not couscous. Couscous is made from wheat and is therefore packed with carbs/sugar, just like pasta, bread, pastry, cakes, breakfast cereal, biscuits and probably a few more things. If you want something on your plate that looks like rice, try cauliflower rice. Never had it myself, but it is very popular.

Are you keeping a food diary and testing regularly? This will soon show you what you definitely shouldn't be eating. In the meantime, have a look here, especially at the section on what not to eat. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodtoavoid
Sally

Edit:
ps I have made the assumption, based on the Metformin, that the OP is T2. My apologies if this is incorrect.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Couscous - from Holland & Barrett website states 71% carbs

Typical Analysis per 100g

Energy 1600KJ/377Kcal
Fat 0.8g
Of Which Saturates 0.2g
Carbohydrates 71.0g
Of which sugars 3.6g
Fibre 5.0g
Protein 13.0g
Salt 0.02g

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want something on your plate that looks like rice, try cauliflower rice. Never had it myself, but it is very popular.

I love cauliflower rice - super easy to make - just blitz up cauliflower florets in a processor until they look like rice then fry in a pan. Most supermarkets now sell cauli rice in freezer section, many also do steam bags of calui, broccoli and kale or similar.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I love cauliflower rice - super easy to make - just blitz up cauliflower florets in a processor until they look like rice then fry in a pan. Most supermarkets now sell cauli rice in freezer section, many also do steam bags of calui, broccoli and kale or similar.

I have tried it once, not bad either.

del.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @del.uk ,

Welcome to the forum.! :)

You're listed as T1. Is this correct. What insulin regime are you on.?

Hi I use to be on insulin in my pregnancy and also after 6 months of giving birth. I was on the nova pen novepen 20 units in the morning and 20'units in the evening. Fortunately I came off it as I started working out but that was over 12 years ago

Thank you for the mistake I made I would have appreciated if you had kindly messaged me privately as you did for the two Acc's which I explained was a technical error on your end.

I thinks it best if I deactivate my acc as I do not like to humiliate at one and especially admin should know better you could have messaged me privately

Thank you

Stay blessed !

I hope all the diabetics patients have the right treatment and willpower to continue bringing the best out of themselves as we all deserve a fruitful future.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thinks it best if I deactivate my acc as I do not like to humiliate at one and especially admin should know better you could have messaged me privately

Hi again,

None of us is trying to humiliate you. On the contrary, we are all trying to help. It really is important to know which type of diabetic you are - Any dietary advice depends on this as it makes such a big difference. As things stood, your status under your avatar states you are Type 1, but your medication suggests otherwise, so we all needed it to be clarified, and your profile settings is the best place to do this..

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Couscous may be?

Hi I have just seen your other message, please don't go ( hug)
Yes, people with diabetes can eat Couscous, but if can depend on what type you are, whether you are on medication and if you actually like it and want to eat it.
With best wishes.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Couscous has high carbs

These my measurements have shown you that
1524269369678.jpg

del.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi again,

None of us is trying to humiliate you. On the contrary, we are all trying to help. It really is important to know which type of diabetic you are - Any dietary advice depends on this as it makes such a big difference. As things stood, your status under your avatar states you are Type 1, but your medication suggests otherwise, so we all needed it to be clarified, and your profile settings is the best place to do this..

No Hun I was not directing to yourself it was the co ordinator whom I was talking to as she had already contacted me regarding my acc in privacy so she could have done the same in a message..

I'm new here have no idea how to go about certain things

For the first time in my life I'm trying to put my health first and live longer for myself for a change.

del.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Couscous - from Holland & Barrett website states 71% carbs

Typical Analysis per 100g

Energy 1600KJ/377Kcal
Fat 0.8g
Of Which Saturates 0.2g
Carbohydrates 71.0g
Of which sugars 3.6g
Fibre 5.0g
Protein 13.0g
Salt 0.02g

Thank you

del.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Definitely not couscous. Couscous is made from wheat and is therefore packed with carbs/sugar, just like pasta, bread, pastry, cakes, breakfast cereal, biscuits and probably a few more things. If you want something on your plate that looks like rice, try cauliflower rice. Never had it myself, but it is very popular.

Are you keeping a food diary and testing regularly? This will soon show you what you definitely shouldn't be eating. In the meantime, have a look here, especially at the section on what not to eat. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodtoavoid
Sally

Edit:
ps I have made the assumption, based on the Metformin, that the OP is T2. My apologies if this is incorrect.

The doctors are considering insulin again as my sugars are extremely high but I want to avoid and stick to the metformin and change my lifestyle eating wise.. I will adjust to T2 and Hun I'm not writing down I'm monitoring what triggers the sugar level but I might try and jot down

Thank you x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So you are type two?
I eat quite a lot of cauliflower - cauliflower with cheeses, with curry, as part of a strange sort of hot salad with boiled radishes, hot beetroot, baked tomatoes and onion - when it was really cold. I add herbs and spices to jazz up foods too. I do stirfry with courgettes, mushrooms, sweet peppers for their colour as well as taste and crunch - low carb is a great way to eat and it lowers blood glucose very well - if you are lucky you might see normal numbers. I certainly count myself fortunate.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So you are type two?
I eat quite a lot of cauliflower - cauliflower with cheeses, with curry, as part of a strange sort of hot salad with boiled radishes, hot beetroot, baked tomatoes and onion - when it was really cold. I add herbs and spices to jazz up foods too. I do stirfry with courgettes, mushrooms, sweet peppers for their colour as well as taste and crunch - low carb is a great way to eat and it lowers blood glucose very well - if you are lucky you might see normal numbers. I certainly count myself fortunate.
I successfully used low carb diets to bring my levels down quite rapidly, and it worked for me (T2D) For one thing, it proved to me that I am still producing insulin which is comforting to say the least.

I am glad that you have stayed with us. I did not see anyone wanting to embarass or humiliate, but as a T2D I know that my diet choices are more restricted than if I had been on insulin. But I can live with that. I hope that a change of lifestyle along the lines of following some sort of low carb plan is of benefit to you. But many here prefer the insulin pathway to oral meds, I prefer it the other way.

I use cauliflower rice myself to great effect and to a lesser degree have also used butternut squash (Winter Squash) instead of pasta or potato. Aubergine is another substitute you can use as well as zuccini (courgette) There are other swaps but those are the main ones I use.