is diabetes reversible

dwilson32392

Re: is diabetes reversable

Addendum; I should have said that I do the post-prandial test at one hour, not two hours, because that's when it normally peaks. the two hour test, when I occasionally took it, was usually 6% or below.

Fallenstar

Just goes to show what diet and exercise can do :D All good , Well done everybody that has done it!!...Kudos to you.

wildman

I thought I'd add my 2cents here.

Diagnosed Type II in 2003, eventually went onto insulin at the beginning of 2011 after a failed 6 months on Byetta.

The weight gain on insulin was extrodinary, I gained four stone in five months despite having the same diet as always.

Anyway, having had the DVLA restrict my driving licence to 3.5tonne when I went onto insulin (which meant I couldn't drive our horsebox), combined with the weight gain and a year of feeling pretty **** lousy and lathargic, plus the hospital finding the first signs of retinal damage (albeit very minor so far) I took the plunge last month and had a Gastric Bypass (privately).

It was more of a financial decision - I own my own business, my health is paramount. If I can't work, it isn't just my livelihood at stake, but that of my employees. The healthier I feel, the more productive I am.

It is too early to say for sure what the long-term effect is, but when I left hospital three days after the operation I was no longer on insulin (was on 180 units per day of Humulin), metformin or Glicklizide.

A month on, my mmol is steady at around 8.5-10 a little higher than I'd like, but steady. No hypos, no rises, just steady.

Bear in mind I haven't been able to exercise for the past month other than a gentle walk - I'm looking forward to getting into the swimming pool, especially having lost 3.5 stone since the operation. :)

My surgeon describes the operation as 'arresting' diabetes, not reversing it. So far, that seems to be the case - either way, the weight loss will ultimately help tremendously.

I'll keep the forum posted over the next year or so.

Denis MacEoin

I have seen a few remarks about the development of an artificial pancreas. The Israelis have now created a working prototype. They have one of the world's most advanced scientific and medical cultures, and I believe this will provide a genuine answer for all Type I Diabetics. Here's a link: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/israeli-medicine-breakthrough-artificial-pancreas-trial-project-132606938.html

SAH154

Re: re: is diabetes reversable

SandraR said:
Gappy said:
Why reverse it? after all free prescriptions isn't to be sneezed at!

I could think of a few reasons why it would be good to reverse it:-

Not having to inject/infuse insulin 24/7 to stay alive
Not having to wear an insulin pump attached to the skin 24/7
Having a normal life-expectancy
Being able to get a driving licence
Being able to take GCSE exams without fear of hypos/hypers affecting cognitive function
Being regarded by peers as 'normal'
Being able to eat without counting carbs
Not having to carry a glucagen injection everywhere in case of unconsciousness
Being able to be left alone/live alone without fear of hypos (and dying)
Being able to sleep at night without fear of 'dead in bed' syndrome
Not having the risk of complications later in life (blindness, amputation, heart/liver/kidney failure)

Do you want any more??? I would be delighted to give up my son's free prescriptions and disability living allowance in return for reversing his T1. As it is, all I can do is support charities such as JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund) who have many projects running - all with the ultimate aim of curing Type 1.

Well said!!

If I have to start paying for my prescriptions again following my transplant I'll gladly buy an annual season ticket for prescriptions @ £104 as £104 PA is a small price to no longer have to go though all those things in that list

SAH154

Re: re: is diabetes reversable

borofergie said:
SAH154 said:
SandraR said:
Being regarded by peers as 'normal'

Really? How tedious, hopefully you'll soon grow out of that one...

Having T1D can be difficult at best - a consultant told me 60% of Type 1s have no real problems from the off but sadly 40% do have real issues controlling it. And it is far more restrictive than type 2 and people have funny ideas about T1 such as 'my nan has diabetes and she doesn't have to do that' and then fail to understand she has T2 and you have T1.

I was diagnosed with T1 20 years ago and what SandraR says is pretty true people and just think of themselves and ignore your health condition and it's requirements and if you are still at school then that can't be a good thing for ones development